Recruiting a New Team Member

Giovanni, Thanks for the tips,

No offence Wanderson. I appreciate you work. I'm just talking what I'm thinking about project which you've called final. From my point of view "final" means that nothing (maybe instead really small details) will be changed.

I'm not a graphic designer and believe me, what I'll create in Photoshop will be a piece of s* and for sure my job will be worse than your job. But… I've been working together with graphics designer and I know that during creating design, you should follow some rules/schemes as other people I've also some graphical taste and preferences.

Coming back to your layout and your response. I do not think that logo is not important and may be designed at the end (I've understood this way you sentence that logo is just a part of polishing)! This is wrong. Logo is one of the most important identity sign for companies/projects/trademarks. It should be designed at the beginning and Web site, should be build to fulfil colour scheme used in logo and should be in harmony with logo.

Second, logo tells a lot about product/company. E.g. you have a bird in Lufthansa logo. because Lufthansa it makes us think of flying. This is reason why I've suggested that logo should make us thinking about speed/performance and additionally should be simple. Of course logo should look nice. But this shouldn't be the only pros!

E.g. 4th proposal of logo pasted by Virtual DarKness look really interesting and IMHO should be a base for final logo.

Continuing, 1st and 4th canglan proposals looks good… but why I see there Kohana logo?

From you previous proposal 4th (old and new) and 6th looks interesting.

I've looked closer into you last (final?) design and I can say that:

• there is too much shades of blue (you should use one), e.g. Yii powered, top of page, copyrights has different shades - that is not needed!;

• font used for Yii and framework are different and they doesn't match to eachother;

• I like your purist design;

• if you are using one font for text why you do not use it also for download/demo/rss buttons?

• top of the page is too empty;

When you will ask you me about note, I'll give you 6.5/10, which means it is good but there is still a lot missing to perfection. And please treat this more like advice and not like a personal war.

@Virtual DarKness: Your 4th proposal looks really good. (I can give it note 8/10 :) ). Could you change you 4th proposal to be sloped left side (now is sloped right). It looks now like it is in move but is more braking instead speed up/race. Maybe you can extend the background behind ii letters and add at right side of this background horizontal lines which will suggest high speed (please see logo of F1 formula).

I think top of the page (Yii framework writing and Yii logo is a little bit crappy). I do not like this logo even font which you've used there. Everything else on page looks nice.

Btw. If I can suggest something. Yii is developed for aplication which should be quick, large and powerful. Therefore I think logo should tell other people about that principles. I suggest to transform name Yii in logo into shape of locomotive (as a reference what I’m thinking about please have a look on this page - Polish Railway page: http://www.intercity.pl/)

Why do not you do a design for us.

It's easy to put defects, but instead of just putting defect.

Show a solution.

Well this is my final design of the 8 that I created.

So for design, i think we need the following to be polished. Other things are minor and can be adjusted later.

1. the logo for example

@Virtual DarKness: Your 4th proposal looks really good. (I can give it note 8/10 :) ). Could you change you 4th proposal to be sloped left side (now is sloped right). It looks now like it is in move but is more braking instead speed up/race. Maybe you can extend the background behind ii letters and add at right side of this background horizontal lines which will suggest high speed (please see logo of F1 formula).

hi aztech,

thanks for the feedback… happy that you liked it ;)

Not 100% sure of what you mean cause you are suggesting me to to have it sloped to the left side while you are linking to the F1 logo that is sloped to the right side too  ::)

anyway is true that according to phisics if it were moving it should be to the left… but if you image it “falling” then it is correct to the right… see: http://prettytough.c…p_whistler.jpg

here you are  :P :)

(colors can be changed…)

Posted Image

p.s.

the simple one:

Posted Image

@Virtual DarKness: I gave you F1 logo as an example of additional horizontal lines, which add more dynamic into logo (maybe I didn't highlighted this to much in my previous post).

Did you tried another colour for Y letter (orange, red)? How this logo looks like when Y is in totally different colour than blue?

Simple version look really good. From rest 2b is interesting. 2c is the worse one.

2a and 2d - I think that you should repeat letter max 2 times instead 4 times.

P.S. One more idea which just jumped to my mind. Maybe we can paint Y as a flame in red/orange/any hot colour? What do you think about?

P.S.2 With colours I like your logo even more.

hi aztech… I can try to follow your suggestion but as I’m quite busy in this period I’d prefer to first have some more feedback/suggestions from other users and from qiang… just to be sure that you’re not the only one that likes it :D  ;)

thanks.

bye,

Giovanni.

Okay here's my logo try 1:

Posted Image

Chinese Yin Yang Ba Gua (Eight Trigrams), which is derived from the Chinese translation of the pronounciation 'Yii' (Yee).

"Yii" can also translate to simple and easy, hence the minimal design.

very nice logo … simplicity is efficient ;)

8)

Version 1's variation (adds some vividness IMO):

Posted Image

Posted Image

I like this taste. Since Yii looks to be simple and easy, the logo can be something like organic, i.e. handwriting etc.

is it on purpose that you wrote framwork instead of framework ? … or is it just a typo ?

8)

Oops, that was a typo.

I like it

What about something like this

Posted Image

nicer and more compact

I prefered the version where the text was not so small (and not so uneasy to read). IMHO, a quick look at the logo should be enough to understand what Yii is about, but the small text oblige to take a closer look. You could maybe change the font and/or the color (make it more contrasted).

The yin-yang mouse is great !! ;)

Posted Image

Chinese Yin Yang Ba Gua (Eight Trigrams), which is derived from the Chinese translation of the pronounciation 'Yii' (Yee).

I like this logo.  Although, I think it will look better without the squiggly line and a non-serif  font for the "PHP Framework" part.  It will scale better as well.

I'm planning on submitting a design for the site but I am waiting for the logo to be finalized.  The logo is very important because the colors and the general style of the website should be derived from it.

and a non-serif  font for the "PHP Framework" part.

I agree

By the way, if Yin Yang, what about a composition like this?

(please do not consider the colours, I’m just pretty bad at colouring things ;D)

@Endryl.

…colours :) you know what I want to say :) Try to change background to light one. Try to find colour for Y, which will be similar to yin-yang sign. Change yin-yang sign into “shapes”, something what Canglan did. If I may suggest something, try to combine Canglan idea with yours :)

Another try  :)