VICE.com

Hey guys, wanted to share our latest Yii app, which we are more than stoked on.

This took almost a year to build, but now that its done, we have it running on Yii 1.1.8, using some of the new query caching (sick) and are working on implementing some of the custom URL rule classes next, and a few other features that are going to be pretty cool.

We also modified the CDbConnectionManager extension that is available from the community, and improved on it a little bit as a class for a DB master / slave=n>1 environment. If anyone is interested in that, we’re working on cleaning it up for release as an extension, but would be glad to share the class as it exists now.

rock and roll

john

PS have i mentioned that we love yii?

hello,

nice work. did you guys use MySQL?

–iM

yep, we’re using 1 master, 3 slave amazon RDS mysql instances.

great job ! looks good and very fast :lol: .

if you can share some extensions or write a wiki about how to use yii in large scale website ?

talk about some advanced techs you use ::)

Great job, site really look promising!

Nice URL too. Short and sweet.

Kooky (sorta). I’m out shopping for a Framework and have been shaking down Yii. I’ve been a vice.com fan since I watched the piece about you guys in Africa (I think it was).

If you guys dig Yii then I’m sold as well!

BuckSuper

Good points…I would note that as someone who really doesn’t comment to blogs much (in fact, this may be my first post), I don’t think the term “lurker” is very becoming to a non-posting reader. It’s not your fault at all, but perhaps the blogosphere could come up with a better, non-creepy name for the 90% of us that enjoy reading the posts.

Peepers :)

Actually, we do have a wird in English, readers ;)

My MO:

Google and read, sign up to post 1 or 2 questions, lurk for a bit until i get the feel for the place and crowd, them linge into a flurry of posts and comments. Lol, sounds just like a bar scene.

So, in a sense “lurker” fits some of us :D

how many visitors per day ?

how many page views per day ?

nice,did you used extension yii-bootstrap?

Good Job! I love this site~ :D

This kind of info would be useful if you feel you can reveal it (I know… "is it suitable for high traffic? Yes It Is" - but is it?)

totally off topic but yeah on the lurker thing…

(googled)

1. Be or remain hidden so as to wait in ambush for someone or something: "a killer lurked in the darkness".

2.(of an unpleasant quality) Be present in a latent or barely discernible state, although still presenting a threat.

No I don’t like that one bit - reader makes more sense.

Anyway, nice site - please share some more info on what you can as so many have asked it would be so interesting.

Good job.

hey all, some answers for you:

1. no we did not use the bootstrap widget

2. re: the site’s traffic, i of course cannot reveal real numbers, but i will say that it is currently on the magnitude of hundreds of thousands per day (page views)

a bit more about the performance configuration since you guys are interested:

• we use a largely rewritten version of the DBConnectionMan extension to handle DB replication: http://www.yiiframework.com/extension/dbreadwritesplitting/. we are planning to release our code for this after the next Yii site we launch (next weekend)

• configuration uses an nginx reverse proxy cache for http acceleration and we have been able to significantly reduce the amount of hardware running the site with that in place

• this database stores the entire published works from VICE’s history for all of their regions, which is 13 years of content in over 30 countries. there is a lot of stuff in there.

• amazon cloudfront for asset CDN, ooyala/akamai for video CDN

• cms is also home rolled, and something we’d also like to release eventually but that wont be for a while

thanks!

j

Plus 1

nice job and nice domain.

Good job.

Nice Job

nice :)