IDE for Yii development

I experienced exactly the same. Both Netbeans and Eclipse are written in Java, making them one of the slowest IDEs on market, but Eclipse is overloaded with many plugins, editors, additions, which makes it even slower, much slower than Netbeans. Actually I’ve been using Eclipse for a shorter period of time than it took me to install and uninstall it. Since I don’t have a server farm at services, my current hardware is far to weak to use Eclipse! :]

I’ve used different IDEs, some of them Komodo, Netbeans, Eclipse and recently switched to PhpStorm. Though it’s written in Java and people would expect it to be slow here’s what I like. Will try to prioritize the features:

• incredibly fast

• no need to constantly hit Ctrl+S, it does it for you on keyup

• Ctrl+click on methods, parent classes would open them for you (again fast); Quick find file/class in project dialog.

• strong for web developement, meaning it’s cool with JavaScript, CSS and HTML too

• can quickly search for string/s within certain directory

• highly configurable, may use default keybinding from other IDEs (like Netbeans, Eclipse, etc)

• highlight variable on select

• Shift+mouse hover on image path shows the image and its dimensions

• shows colors on CSS rows where color is used

• the structure window is rather configurable too letting you sort fields, methods, showing you their visibility by icons; one may also see inherited methods/fields if needed too

• integrated VCS (git, svn)

There are lots of other goodies and I’m still in the process of learning what the IDE can do. Samdark wrote pretty cool Wiki explaining how to configure PhpStorm http://www.yiiframework.com/wiki/92/configuring-phpstorm-ide-for-yii/ If I’m missing something cool of the features please complete me. Cheers.

im using eclipse pdt. its good and easy

Nothing to say more, PhpED since 7+ years. Also used Eclipse PDT and NetBeans but they are too slow IMO.

PhpED is also nice for integrated profiler and debugger.

I use Netbeans with PHP support and Yii plugin (available in Netbeans plugins window).

But only if I’ll stay more than a few minutes developing. For quick edits I use Notepad++.

For quick edits on the terminal I use vim.

Does anyone know how does Eclipse+PDT compare with Netbeans?

Hi All,

I use Eclipse Helious package and it’s very nice…

Best Regards,

Ankit Modi

I use NetBeans at least for seven years (started with java)

The last two years I use it for my Yii projects

so I give a vote to NetBeans :)

Here is my 2-cents: http://www.yiiframework.com/forum/index.php/topic/35834-what-ide-to-use/page__p__172287__hl__IDE#entry172287