Yiiframework.com

Quite some time ago, Qiang wrote in a forum post:

[quote name=‘qiang’]We are rewriting the whole application powering yiiframework.com, based on the feedback we have received so far. We will mainly improve the extension system, the documentation system, and the community system. We will reveal more details as we get there.
[/quote]

I wonder whether the "more details" could include the source code behind the website yiiframework.com ?

Especially what is behind the very clean and easy to use “class reference” page would get my attention. :)

The API docs you mean? They are being generated during builds via phing. You can check all the internals out in the build dir.

Aha, thank you.

It shows how much effort went into developing this excellent framework that Yii is.

Though it is not exactly the page on the website: the type-ahead textbox is not there (or I am not looking in the right spot).

(sorry, a bit late reply)

AFAIK the type-ahead box is part of the website. Being powered by Solr, I don’t see how it could be part of the generated docs.

That makes me even more curious to see the source code of the website.

Isn’t this a contradiction: on the one hand there is this excellent framework where so much energy is put in, and on the other hand there is this excellent website that is 90% Yii (guessing!) used for the promotion of Yii. But exactly this code is kept private. By hiding it, one could doubt the capacities of the framework. By revealing it, it would make an exemplary showcase.

That is only partially true. The Definite Guide and the API docs are static. The forum is a modified IPBoard. The wiki is - as I believe - samdark’s Yeeki, which is entirely OSS. Leaves the frontpage and the memeber list. These are pure Yii with a bit of Zend Framework to generate feeds.

Well, I can only speculate what the reasons behind this decision are. Could be security concerns. From what I heard, the entire site is being managed through a non-public SVN repo. Chances are good it contains everything. Up to and including the forum. As IP.Board isn’t OSS, opening this repo up for the public could be problematic in many different ways.