YiiBase::import() support for multiple classes in one file

It would be very useful to be able to package many classes into a single file and still use Yii's import declarations. This would also be in keeping with Yii's ability to dramatically increase performance using APC and the stated purpose of yiilite.

I have been hacking on it and have a potential solution, if you think it would be beneficial. I'll use the tired example of the class nobody has ever really built: Animal!

external class file (apppath/something/Animal.php)

<?php

class Animal {

//snip

}

class Duck extends Animal {

//snip

}

class MutantDuck extends Duck implements Mutant {

//snip

}

?>

controller:

<?php

class AwesomeController extends CController

{

function actionDoWonderfulThings()

{

if (isset($_REQUEST['inHell']))

$ohDear = new MutantDuck();

else

$sweet = new WonderfulThing();

}

}

?>

If I put the appropriate import declarations at the top of the controller, I currently have to specify the force include parameter:

<?php Yii::import("application.something.Animal", true); ?>

in order to expect that the MutantDuck will be available in the event that $_REQUEST[‘inHell’] is set. That means I’m loading a whole bunch of classes I might not necessarily need - if we’re not in hell, I can’t imagine there would be too many mutant ducks! ;)

The idea I had to solve the problem is to use a different character to distinguish between a path (which we're using '.' for), and a class name which is the child of a file (for which i thought we could use '/').

The following specifies that the class MutantDuck, present in the file Animal, should be imported:

<?php Yii::import("application.something.Animal/MutantDuck"); ?>

The disadvantage is that we need to have an import declaration for each child class we want to be autoloadable… for example, if the controller needed to instantiate a regular Duck under certain circumstances, we would need to import both:

<?php

Yii::import("application.something.Animal/Duck");

Yii::import("application.something.Animal/MutantDuck");

?>

The following changes can be made to YiiBase::import() and YiiBase::getPathOfAlias() to support it (but i'm sure there will be a better way to do it). The changes are not huge, but I have not thoroughly tested them yet:

<?php

public static function import($alias,$forceInclude=false)

{

if(isset(self::$_imports[$alias]))  // previously imported

return self::$_imports[$alias];

$classPos=strrpos($alias,'.');

$childPos=strrpos($alias,'/');

if(isset(self::$_coreClasses[$alias]) || ($classPos===false && $childPos===false))  // a simple class name

{

self::$_imports[$alias]=$alias;

if($forceInclude && !class_exists($alias,false))

{

if(isset(self::$_coreClasses[$alias])) // a core class

require_once(YII_PATH.self::$_coreClasses[$alias]);

else

require_once($alias.'.php');

}

return $alias;

}

if(($className=(string)substr($alias,max($classPos,$childPos)+1))!=='*' && class_exists($className,false))

return self::$_imports[$alias]=$className;

if(($path=self::getPathOfAlias($alias))!==false)

{

if($className!=='*')

{

self::$_imports[$alias]=$className;

if($forceInclude)

require_once($path.'.php');

else

self::$_classes[$className]=$path.'.php';

return $className;

}

else  // a directory

{

set_include_path(get_include_path().PATH_SEPARATOR.$path);

return self::$_imports[$alias]=$path;

}

}

else

throw new CException(Yii::t('yii#Alias "{alias}" is invalid. Make sure it points to an existing directory or file.',

array('{alias}'=>$alias)));

}

public static function getPathOfAlias($alias)

{

if(isset(self::$_aliases[$alias]))

return self::$_aliases[$alias];

else if(($pos=strpos($alias,'.'))!==false)

{

$pathAlias=$alias;

// remove the child class portion of the alias

if(($childPos=strrpos($alias,"/"))!==false)

$pathAlias = substr($alias,0,$childPos);

$rootAlias=substr($alias,0,$pos);

if(isset(self::$_aliases[$rootAlias]))

return self::$_aliases[$alias]=rtrim(self::$_aliases[$rootAlias].DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR.str_replace('.',DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR,substr($pathAlias,$pos+1)),'*'.DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR);

}

return self::$_aliases[$alias]=false;

}

?>

Thank you for the explorational investigation.

My opinion is that we should keep things simple. The current rule is that each public class should occupy a separate class file while private classes may stay inside a public class file. This is a widely accepted convention (e.g. Java, Flex). It also makes code maintenance easier.

I believe your approach will increase performance when using APC. However, the result won't be as dramastic as yiilite because you don't want to pack tens of classes into a single file (like yiilite) for your project. And if so, you should just include the merged file so that APC can take care of it.