Yii news 2021, issue 4

Yii news 2021, issue 4 - Open Collective

Merry Christmas and happy New Year, everyone!

That’s Alexander Makarov and a fresh Yii news issue.

There were not that much news issues this year. This one is fourth. But there definitely were many things done. Despite being a hard year, I think that overall progress is awesome:

We plan to begin next year with:

• More package releases.
  • Performance optimization.
  • Progress on the definitive guide.
  • Website updates.
  • Articles about using Yii3.
  • And more.

Now, let’s review interesting things since previous news issue.

Foundation

The foundation allowed us to get Alexey Rogachev back on board. He was the team member in 2017 and helped a lot with Yii2. Currently, he’s working on significantly enhancing API docs generation for Yii2 and updating website squashing bugs along the way. Likely he’ll join Yii3 development next.

Another big news is that it is now possible to donate to the foundation with a cryptocurrency.

PHP 8.1

With PHP 8.1 release, we started to update Yii1, Yii2 and Yii3 to be compatible. The hardest part of making old PHPUnit to work with 8.1 was done by longthanhtran. Now we need some time to actually fix compatibility.

:large_blue_diamond: Yii 1

:large_blue_diamond: Yii 2

Both basic and advanced application templates got better PhpStorm auto-complete. Advanced template Vagrant was updated to PHP 7.4.

There is also a new extension, Symfony mailer adapter.

:large_orange_diamond: Yii 3

:gift: New package releases:

:gift: Package updates:

Package removals:

I have decided not to include patch releases in the list and not to post these at the website for now. Takes too much time and mostly these are of no big interest.

Other cool things:

:orange_book: New and adjusted docs

:books: News, reading/watching recommendations

:heart: Thank you!

I would like to thank all backers and contributors for making Yii 3 possible. We are moving it forward together!

There are more individuals and companies to be checked on the OpenCollective page.

:+1: Special thanks for Yii 3 code contributions goes to:

11 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

All the best for the new year to you too, Alex!

1 Like

Thanks Alex!!

1 Like