Yii 2 Public Preview Available

Hello togehter,

based upon the cool post of schmunk (phundament) we already produced a small company website - it’s public so anyone interested in some running code can take a look at it on github:

We combined bootstrap and metroiui to give it look n feel… its still WIP but if someone wants to see yii2 in a project, take a look at it;)

Additional… to install in the project root you have to run

php composer.phar install

Regards Phil

Really good news. We were wainting for this for a long, but finally is here!!! Thank you so much guys!

Congratz ! Keep it up.

It looks good! :D

I never use Yii prior, so you may find my questions a bit silly. :rolleyes:

I wish to use Yii for my next webapps. I’ve never did before.

My question are two folds :

First, when do you thin Yii 2 will be ready or at least quite stable in function calls ? Give me a hint like Q4-2013 or such. I just want to have an idea, or a bid like optimistic/pessimistic scenarios.

Will Yii 2 preview be updated regularly ? Night build with an ‘official fork’.

Are there significant changes between Yii 1 and Yii 2 so people that created Yii 1 webapps will have a lots of work to convert them in Yii 2.

What would you advise me ?

I simply can’t wait, my Yii apps are not for prod, they are not commercial, so bugs are “authorized” but apps have to be usable.

I need core MVC with nice routing, I don’t mind about ORM, I use core PDO to access data in my models. Main Work in Yii standard will be I guess controller, view and some configuration. I need to create mainly securized admin and user RBAC interfaces with session management.

• We don’t have a strict date but API is kinda OK now. Some things are still missing though.

• Yii2 preview is updated regularly. Check github.

• Yii2 isn’t backwards compatible with Yii 1.1.

• There are no guide articles for many parts of Yii2 yet.

MVC, AR, routing, configuration, security filters, RBAC, sessions are done and API of these is quite stable. From the other side there are no code generators, data providers or grids yet.

Overall it’s kinda risky to start project on Yii2 since learning curve is higher (no guide, a lot less people to help) and bugs are expected but if it’s OK to delay the project launch experiencing all these, you’re very welcome to stary with 2.0. We need feedback and bug reports ;)

Great news, thanks for update of Yii next update.

Thanks a lot for your Announcement. :)

it would be fun to play with this latest version.And i am hoping that lots of the changes related to Model Relationship will be fixed in this version as i have posted that feature request on this link :)

Thanks again for your time and efforts.

Can we use yii2? When it will be ready for use ?

Yes, you can if you understand the drawbacks mentioned earlier. Generally it works.

Congratulations! I have been waiting for Yii 2 for 3 years, tears~

excited! :D

Can someone make a benchmark with Yii 2, Yii 1.1.x and PhalconPHP frameworks so we know how Yii 2 is performing?

PhalconPHP is really fast!

http://docs.phalconphp.com/en/latest/reference/benchmark/hello-world.html

Lets see if we can maintain Yii’s slogan

Is it fast? … Is it secure? … Is it professional? … Is it right for my next project? … Yes, it is!

I did some profiling some time ago, you can find the results in a pull request on github:

https://github.com/yiisoft/yii2/pull/550

You see yii2 is still a fast thing even if it might not be as fast as 1.1 in a minimal applicaiton you always have to see how it works in a real application which is by far not covered in these test runs.

A suggestion …why dont we put read in file in yii to know which version we have downloaded …some thing like Drupal has … For E.G. This is Yii -FrameWork Version 1.1.11.

We have this already. When you call Yii::getVersion() in your code you get the version of yii you have downloaded.

You can also see it in the CHANGELOG file which will be there when we are stable in yii2 and which is already there in yii 1.1.