Unable to use Yii::error() log methods from unit tests

I’m trying to use methods like Yii::error() or Yii::warning() from inside a unit test. Whenever I try though I get a Fatal Error:

PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function getRequest() on a non-object in /myapp/vendor/yiisoft/yii2/log/Target.php on line 269

It seems that Yii::$app is not set/available in that function. These methods work properly when used in a web/browser context, but not within unit tests. Is anyone logging from within unit tests? Does it require any special configuration?

You have to setup a Yii application first before running the test. If you are using codeception, you can use http://www.yiiframework.com/doc-2.0/yii-codeception-testcase.html#mockApplication()-detail or copy the code from that method into your own test class.

Thank you for your response CeBe. I went back and tried adding the call to mockApplication and then realized that already exists in yii\codeception\TestCase::setUp();

I’m trying to use a very basic unit test to debug, here is what I have:

namespace tests\codeception\unit\models;

use yii\codeception\TestCase;

class DummyTest extends TestCase

{

protected function setUp()

{

parent::setUp();

}

public function testDummy() {

\Yii::error("Error message");

\Yii::warning("Warning message");