Hi there just want to throw following observation:
Started DB worked with it and all fine, but then all of the "sudden" :
htmlspecialchars() [<a href='function.htmlspecialchars'>function.htmlspecialchars</a>]: Invalid multibyte sequence in argument
In the end it turned out to be very easy , the point:
My Database (of course) is UTF-8 encoded, so no problem in the first, then after some time i put in Öl into one Table Value, which was the first time a multy byte value came into place.
In the end all easy and logical to be treated in the main.php :
'charset'=>'UTF8', #<===== That's all needed
i added the 'charset'=>'UTF8', there, and all is fine now