Tabular input in search form

Hi, i’m trying to create a specific search functionality using the search model with Yii2, but i’m not sure how could i achieve what i want.

I want to let the user add as many fields as he wants (related to the same model attribute, same concept as tabular input) and perfom an AND query or an OR query based on user choice. I know this doesn’t make much sense at first, don’t know how to properly explain it so i’ll try to elaborate as much as i can.

Let’s say I have a table called persons, in this table there’s a column named per_gender, per_name and per_lastname. The user may want to know all the persons in this table that are female and who’s last name is “Aniston” OR all the persons that are male and who’s last name is “Smith”. The raw MySQL query that gives te desired results is as follows:

SELECT *

FROM persons

WHERE per_gender = "F" AND per_lastname = "Aniston" OR per_gender = "M" AND per_lastname = "Smith"

So i need to make this query in my search model. It could be represented like this (just a theory):

class PersonsSearch extends Persons{

public function search($params){

$query = Persons::find();

$dataProvider = new ActiveDataProvider([

'query' => $query,

]);

$query->andFilterWhere(['per_gender' => $this->per_gender1])->andFilterWhere(['per_lastname' => $this->per_lastname1]);

$query->orFilterWhere(['per_gender' => $this->per_gender2])->andFilterWhere(['per_lastname' => $this->per_lastname2]);

}

return $dataProvider;

}

The query above is just an example, i tried to make it as simple as possible. The user can enter as many conditions as he/she wants and "mold" the query accordingly as well.

How can this be achieved? the only thing i could come up with was tabular input but i don’t know if it’s the right way to do it or how can i implement it for search model.

Any help would be highly appreciated, i know this could be confusing so let me know if any additional info is needed.

I’m not 100% sure what you mean but tabular input like since it is just adding multiple of the same model at the same time, which is what a standard model does.

maybe the following will get you in the right direction

$query->andWhere(['or',

['like', 'per_lastname', $this->per_lastname],

['like', 'per_gender ', $this->gender]

]);

Hi skworden, thanks for your answer.

I know my question was really confusing (didn’t how to describe properly what i wanted to do), so i’ll try to explain a little bit more this time with more details. I wanna make a search functionality in which the user can search by “X” attribute (per_gender, for example), then specify the logic to be applied (perform an “AND” or an “OR”) and add another input for an “Y” attribute (per_lastname in this case), specify the logic again and input another attribute (or could be one of the attributes he/she already used, per_gender again in this case) and so on. Then finally perfom the search by clicking “Search”.

This is pretty much what i want to achieve (not exactly, but fairly similar). Maybe this makes it easier to understand my question.

On the query side of my question, i think you’re right on using that kind of query, thanks for your help.