Symfonymailer: (how) can I use DSN/bounce messages for delivery confirmation?

Hello World!

I am sending mails via the Symfony Mailer Extension.

I would like to recieve a Delivery Status Notification (DSN) from the recieving Mailserver, when a mail has been successfully recieved by the server. I can’t seem to find any reference to the correct syntax (or infos, if this is even possible).

To clarify: I am NOT talking about X-Confirm-Reading-To or similar that would prompt the user to “confirm mail has been read” (aka Message Disposition Notification, MDN) in his Mail User Agent (MUA). See RFC3798 2.1 This is request to the user and needs an action taken by the user.

I am looking for a way to get a DSN from the server itself, like other bounce messages (“550 user unknown”, “5.2.2 mailbox full” etc.) via the DSN command NOTIFY=SUCCESS, I don’t care at this point what happens to the mail itself after it reached the mailserver.

Example:

RCPT TO:<someone@example.com> NOTIFY=SUCCESS,FAILURE ORCPT=rfc822;someone@example.com

Can this be done?
And if yes: how?

Any info would be highly appreciated. :slight_smile:

Just a note. If you are using an smtp transport then you are likely not going to get any status as a reply. They typically just receive the email during the connection. After that they send the email to the destination server and store the status.

So it depends on the transport you are using.