[Solved] Implementing Bcrypt In Yii

Hello guys,

I’m very new to the Yii Framework, however, as building a project from the start, I’m trying to implement the most secure system I can have.

I’ve been reading about bCrypt, so I gave it a try.

However, when reading the article in the Wiki that talks about it - http://www.yiiframework.com/wiki/292/secure-password-hashing-with-bcrypt/ - i’ve spotted two things.

• The algorithm being used - salsa20 - is not used in PHP5.4 upwards anymore

• It was returning an error when trying to login, after following every instructions

I’m getting this error after filling the username and the password in the login screen.

Non-static method bCrypt::verify() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context

I don’t understand what is the origin of the problem, but my first guess would be that it was not detecting the class, but I am sure it is. At least, it was in the view, when I’ve created a very simple PHP just to generate a random password using this to store in database, and it was working with no problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

maybe your php is just too simple…

the error you are receiving is quite self-describing. there is significant difference between static call to object method and non-static:

//static:

bCrypt::verify();

//non-static:

$obj = new bCrypt();

$obj->verify();

in second case the method will have $this pointer available and referencing to some bCrypt instance. In first one - if verify() needs to access $this PHP does not know what should do and assumes $this from local context (from object instance that had bCrypt::verify() call which may and in most cases will be wrong)

So I should being creating a new object then using it as a non-static object-call?

EDIT: Yup, it was the problem. Initialized it on with $bcrypt = new bCrypt(); and called the verify() on the object and it was working!