Shibboleth Authentication

I’m completely new to Yii, but I’ve been looking at using it for a while.

Now that it’s time to kick things into gear on a project and begin, I need to check in to the little details. The one detail I cannot seem to discover is if Yii has any kind of native or plugin support for Shibboleth authentication.

I have read the page on Authentication and Authorization but honestly I’m new to Shibboleth as well and I’m not sure what I’m looking for. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks!

I know it is a long time since you asked so you will likely have moved on but for other folks sake I’ll mention some of what I know about Yii and Shibboleth:

Shibboleth uses SAML to send back authentication data and this can usually be accessed via $_SERVER values.

You can take a simple approach using the methods described in sections 2 and 3 here to copy data returned by Shibboleth into a UserIdentity instance with setState() and setPersistentStates() which can then be queried using calls like

Yii::app()->user->getState(‘somestate’)

You can extend that using RBAC as described in other sections of the same doc and for which various extensions have been written.