Save generateRandomKey and encryptByKey in db

Hello,

I need a safe way to save private keys in db, so while i search for a solution i come up with this test:

$key = Yii::$app->security->generateRandomKey();

$encdata = Yii::$app->security->encryptByKey($string, $key);

Key: ñgŇ+CeETŸG–ȸŠžû@Ê(mô©a ™”{º%

Encrypted data: Þ]°‹Þ¸d$ÀÁ¢	X]¥ee1c5e6594e9fcddb2295f2e8c90f45a25a48873c9f017d004e43101bd033eac¾’ˆƒÐà b`när\úŸÉ©³-pìÕ<lˆÎ2àÜøÆ9õ_æ?WMR{að¯ú+ŽXJÿEÅ拪¢ÙÌŽ™¿t‘pûÐjð‡OÅ»Àhab6eâ2‡QŸë

My question is if Yii2 will mantain the en/decrypt function over the time and if will always return the original string? It can’t change or something bad can happen with a transaction.

Also i use the utf8_unicode_ci charset in my db, is this encrypted data compatible with my charset or do i need to upgrade for a better charset? if so what should i use?

Thanks

@sn4k3, The security method only encrypt the string and only work if you call it. (I don’t know that you want to know it)

I think, the security method use only normal characters like number, string and characters like *, &,%, $ etc.

I hope that I help you.

Even if it will, data often outlives applications and you might want to rewrite your app in a few years with Yii3, Symfony4, RoR6 or whatever. I’d look for an encryption mechanism at database level for long-term encrypted storage of business critical data.

Well my question is more about if db support this chars with my charset utf8

“You think”… Didn’t you see my first post?? is this string: " Þ]°‹Þ¸d$ÀÁ¢ X]¥…øÆ9õ_æ?WMR{að¯ú+ŽXJÿEÅæ" normal characters to you? When i paste it with notepad++ UTF8 file many chars are not recognized.

So what do you recommend? I need a strong and secure solution.

Is MySQL AES_ENCRYPT() a good bet?

Thanks