Non Required Custom Validator

I have written a custom form validator to ensure that the data entered is a valid IP address for the organization that I am a part of. The problem is that I cannot make that field optional now.

Here is the basic class.

class IPAddressValidator extends CValidator{

protected function validateAttribute($object, $attribute) {

$ip = $object->$attribute;

if(!IPAddress::is_valid_ip($ip))      

$this->addError($object,$attribute,'Input value was not in the form of a valid IP address (example: 12.34.56.78)');

}

}

The function IPAddress::is_valid_ip($ip) is something else that I wrote. It works great, but if you put in null or an empty string "" it returns false because obviously that is not a valid IP address.

When the user submits a form where the IP address information is optional, Yii assigns that attribute an empty string "" which is then passed to the custom validator IPAddressValidator::validateAtribute(). This returns an error to the user.

Is there a way I can tell it not to run this check when I don’t want this to be a required field? I could just modify the validateAttribute() function to return true if $attribute is null or empty string, but it seems like there should be a better way.

Oh, I figured it out. I guess I will write the answer here just in case anyone else ran into the same problem. Unlike what I said before the answer IS to just write the validator to accept null as an answer. This is the style that Yii validators handle this. Take a look any of the CValidator classes. They all have the following pieces of code

class CDateValidator extends CValidator

{

/**

* @var boolean whether the attribute value can be null or empty. Defaults to true,

* meaning that if the attribute is empty, it is considered valid.

*/

public $allowEmpty=true;

protected function validateAttribute($object,$attribute)

{

$value=$object->$attribute;

if($this->allowEmpty && $this->isEmpty($value))

return;

... validation logic ...

}

}

So you can see when validateAttribute() runs, if the attribute is null or empty string, it will return as true anyway.

I’m not sure you have to include $this->allowEmpty or if you can just type

if($this->isEmpty($value))

OR

if($value === null || $value === "")