New design of Yii

IMO this is nothing to discuss about. You'll always have people that don't like something whereas other like it very much. It all depends on personal taste. Personally i also like the chosen design more then Hex' design. His design is nice also, but i wouldn't agree that it's more professional.

Here in Germany there's a saying: You can't fight about taste. Meaning, it's noth worth it, as everybody prefers different things. So why not just live with it?

This is a discussion thread, the purpose of it is likely for the subject to be discussed.

Most likely fred and hex will be able to use this input to further inprove their artistic skills. 

Sorry, i didn't want to sound harsh. I just think, it makes no sense to have a discussion like "I like Design A!" against "But I like Design B!!!". It would be better to have a more constructive discussion.

As the owners have already decided which design is going to be implemented, and also have started to implement that design, theoretically this thread is ought to be closed.

Qiang said he was sorry because he forgot to announce the start of the implementation. Unless he decides to throw the existing code away, there is nothing to do with Design B. No matter how good it is.

As Mike said, everyone has his taste. It’s impossible to have a design that would appeal to everyone. So we have to make a decision (that is Fred’s design). Our decision is not changed and will not. Feel free to raise your suggestions about the chosen suggestions, though. We do hope the chosen does not turn you away from Yii. ;)

As Mike said, everyone has his taste. It's impossible to have a design that would appeal to everyone. So we have to make a decision (that is Fred's design). Our decision is not changed and will not. Feel free to raise your suggestions about the chosen suggestions, though. We do hope the chosen does not turn you away from Yii. ;)

I fully agree with that, however most of the constructive criticism is saying that Fred's is a bit more intensive than needed to our eyes. A small change to the color scheme could do the trick, just play around with it, that's my suggestion.

If the design is properly sliced up and you don’t change any of the layout it shouldn’t be much of a problem more than uploading new images and altering some color in the CSS files, am i wrong? :)

Either way, i'm happy with your decision, i like the new changes being made.

Can’t wait to cruise around the site in the new design  8)

/Martin

Hi, I like the colors that Fred Wu proposed. I just don't like the shape of the logo. It does not seems to be quite unique.

Well, I know that it has been approved, but … I keep uploading though.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Here’s what’s going on at the moment:

Both Qiang and Wei have give me their feedback on the design, so rest assured, the final design will be tweaked. What you are seeing here, is a proposal, or a draft if you will, not the final version.

I will also take your comments into account when I start finalising the design and code.

I have been really busy for the past few weeks so the progress is slow, but I will need to make sure that the final outcome is professional.

Cheers :)

something else,

i like the logo but i think the white space between the 3 parts (that forms the ‘y’) is too big

i looks like 3 separate things, doesn’t really fit together for me unless less white space.

just a thoughtn

the rest looks real nice

like it!

good job.

so the squeleton style is going to change to something like this?

uhm can we have some feedback about the new design?

I never saw the old design, but I like the Yii site better than the design initially proposed in this thread.

The only thing I don’t like, is the header (specifically the Yii logo), as that seems a bit dated.

Very nice colors & logotype.

Is there any chance I can download a vector file of the new logos? I’m working on some ‘powered by’ buttons for my portfolio site and would love to use the new logo.

Thanks!

Sombody knows when this new design will be applied?

This is a very nice design :)

I love the logo, it says a lot by itslef. However, I think the web design needs a little bit more of work For example, the Tabs could possibly be replaced by some triangle indicators instead.

Great work.

I’ve looked at this logo several times, and I’ve been reluctant to leave a comment - wanted to give it time to sink in. Here are my thoughts:

I liked it at first - it looks very "web 2.0", very slick and clean.

But now that I’ve had some time to think about it, and having seen comments from others on this thread, I have to agree with those who think that this logo doesn’t “say” much.

I think it’s easy to be dazzled by a logo with this slick presentation and finish.

But what does it mean?

Has the final decision to use this been made?

If not, I’d like to take out some hours to take a stab at it myself - but maybe we should think about the core values that Yii represents.

Let’s play a bit of word association game here - list your core values, and try to come up with symbols that somehow express or represent those values? This would give me or other budding designers something more to go on.

Go! :slight_smile:

As far as I know the design by fred wu with the controversial logo got dropped in favor for something else (hope it’s okay to say so :mellow:). I don’t know more but we can see another logo already in Gii. Maybe that will be used for the website.

Let’s hope qiang reads this and can give us a small update in progress :)

Yes, the one used in gii will be used as the official logo.

It looks nice, but what is it? Some kind of flower? What does it mean? :slight_smile: