Multiple Select Listbox With Indents

I’m fresh to Yii, but learning fast. I am trying to convert my old site over to Yii so it can be expanded. I have a form that uses a list box to allow users to select multiple items.

This list box has:

Lab

LabEnv

LabEnv

Element

Lab

Labenv

etc… Indented that way.

Here is my dB Query

SELECT element.id, element.name, element_type.id, element_type.name, labenv.id, labenv.lab 

FROM labenv INNER JOIN (element_type INNER JOIN element ON element_type.id = element.element_type)ON labenv.id = element.labenv 

WHERE element.active = 1 

ORDER BY labenv.id, element_type.id

Here is my PHP Code

function eBox()

{

mysql_select_db( $database );

$getElements = mysql_query( $elementSQL ) or die( mysql_error() );

$row_getElements = mysql_fetch_assoc( $getElements );

$totalRows_getElements = mysql_num_rows( $getElements );

$lab=0;

$type=0;

$element=0;

$lastLab = "";

$lastType = "";

while( $row_getElements = mysql_fetch_array( $getElements ) )

{

$currentLab = $row_getElements[5];

$currentType = $row_getElements[3];

if( "$lastLab" != "$currentLab" )

{

printf( "<option value=\"%s\">%s</option>\n\t", $row_getElements[5], $row_getElements[5] );

$lastLab = $row_getElements[5];

$lab++;

}

if ( "$currentType" != "$lastType" )

{

printf( "<option value=\"%s,%s\">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;-%s</option>\n\t", $row_getElements[5], $row_getElements[3], $row_getElements[3] );

$lastType = $row_getElements[3];

$type++;

}

if ( "$currentType" == "$lastType" )

{

printf( "<option value=\"%s,%s,%s\">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;%s</option>\n\t", $row_getElements[5], $row_getElements[3], $row_getElements[1], $row_getElements[1] );

$lastType = $row_getElements[3];

$element++;

}

}

mysql_close( $dbconn );

}

When I execute this, I get a nicely displayed Multiple Select ListBox with great indents. (I created this about 4-5 years ago lol)

Can I perform this type of indentation within Yii easily? Can someone show me something basic so I can get started?

Thanks in advance. The thing that I want to do DIFFERENT is instead of using the NAME of the element,labenv,lab I want to use the ID value so in the event it changes I can just make the dB change.

George

–bump-- maybe someone can help or point me in the correct direction

thanks

– another bump up – Someone else must have had this thought too… :unsure:

You can reuse your code, just change the way you interact with the database from direct functions to active records:

$elements = Elements::model()->findAll();

foreach($elements as $element) {

// old code

}

and retrieve column data using attribute (column) names instead of numeric indexes.

Of course, you need to define your model (active record) but you could use gii to do that.