JQuery-UI theming

Hi!

I’ve read the wiki article “Theming your Zii Widgets” and was a little bit disappointed that one has to configure each [font=“Courier New”]CJuiWidget[/font] individually. Why not configuring the base class instead? But than I saw that the [font=“Courier New”]CWidgetFactory[/font] only sets the properties of the concrete class and not also that of the ancestors.

Therefore I changed [font="Courier New"]CWidgetFactory[/font] to contain a new private method:

/*

* Merge all properties of parent classes first and than the properties of

* the more specific classes

*/

private function mergeProperties($className, $properties)

{

$parent = get_parent_class($className);

// Resolve up to CWidget

if (is_subclass_of($parent, 'CWidget') || $parent == 'CWidget')

{

$properties = $this->mergeProperties($parent, $properties);

}

if(isset($this->widgets[$className]))

{

$properties=$properties===array() ? 

$this->widgets[$className] : CMap::mergeArray($this->widgets[$className],$properties);

}

return $properties;

}

and then let the method [font="Courier New"]CWidgetFactory->createWidget[/font] call it:

public function createWidget($owner,$className,$properties=array())

{

$className=Yii::import($className,true);

$widget=new $className($owner);

$properties = $this->mergeProperties($className, $properties);

if($this->enableSkin)

{

if($this->skinnableWidgets===null || in_array($className,$this->skinnableWidgets))

{

$skinName=isset($properties['skin']) ? $properties['skin'] : 'default';

if($skinName!==false && ($skin=$this->getSkin($className,$skinName))!==array())

$properties=$properties===array() ? $skin : CMap::mergeArray($skin,$properties);

}

}

foreach($properties as $name=>$value)

$widget->$name=$value;

return $widget;

}

Now it’s as easy as:

'widgetFactory' => array(

'widgets' => array(

'CJuiWidget' => array(

'themeUrl' => 'jui/themes',

'theme' => 'ghsv',

),

),

),

to add to your components (main.php configuration) to use a different jquery-ui theme in your application, just copy the generated (JQuery’s themeroller) “custom-theme” to an accessible directory (here [font=“Courier New”]jui/themes/ghsv[/font]).

Did I overlook a configuration option, which allows that already or is my idea a valuable enhancement?

Best regards,

Marco

I did something similar here.

Can’t remember the exact reason I didn’t complete the “inheritance approach” (besides performance). It’s probably not meaningful to include CWidget as parent so I settled for an explicit “commonProperties” class (actually just a fake class name in the CWidgetFactory widgets array).

Edit:

Also see this post. Leading to this. Will need some more work for the example below to work.

Example (use skins from "commonProperties" fake class, in this case CJuiWidget).

'widgetFactory' => array(

'widgets' => array(

'CJuiWidget' => array(

'skin'=>'yiitheme',

),

),

),

I don’t remember if there’s still an unsolved problem. For sure I have commented out the content of

myapp/themes/<selected-yii-theme>/views/skins/CJuiWidget.php

But that might be because I continued testing property inheritance/aggregation of jui widget configurations.

CJuiWidget.php content: Yii theme specific skin(s) for CJuiWidget ancestors

<?php

return array(

'yiitheme'=>array(

'themeUrl' => 'jui/themes',

'theme' => 'ghsv',

),

);

?>

BTW I never used this in a project and because seemingly no one else found it worth using, I left it in an unfinished state.

/Tommy

Hi Tommy,

stepping up the hierarchy to find ancestor configurations rarely needs more than 1 step, since most widgets directly extend [font="Courier New"]CWidget[/font]. Okay, some widgets take more (at most 3 steps?), when - for example - extending [font="Courier New"]C(Jui)InputWidget[/font] or [font="Courier New"]CFilterWidget[/font]. But this adds also flexibility by enabling configuration just for that classes.

Best regards,

Marco

I think the reason I suggested the "commonProperties" approach, besides the obvious performance hit, also was that the non-Jui widgets have very few, if any, properties in common that would have benefit from the inheritance approach.

/Tommy