Install on Remote Host without Shell Access

I have finished developement on a Yii site locally and am ready to take it to the remote host. (Yeah, and thank you very much, I couldn’t have done it without you!)

I have researched the topic and found that one of the first steps is to ‘install Yii on the host’. I am under the impression that installing is different than uploading the framework from my local server. If someone would like to elaborate on the differences and advantages, please do!

My main question is this; Is there a way to install the Yii framework on the remote host without having shell access?

When I was reviewing Pear packages I found documentation for this subject, so I was wondering if this was an option to consider as far as Yii is concerned, and if so, how does it work in the Yii case? Is there documentation which I am just not finding?

Here is the pear documentation for reference if someone is interested…

pear installation shared

Check the documentation - http://www.yiiframework.com/doc/guide/1.1/en/quickstart.installation

Installation of Yii consists of unpacking the downloaded compressed file. So in your case all you need is to upload your yii and your application to the server

Hi mdomba,

I did found more topics posted and understand now that installing has to be done local due to the yiic command line script not being accessable on remote host.

So now,… In the yii folder there are files like demo that will not be needed, can I just upload the framework folder?

But then there are the files like gii which aren’t needed, but they will be uploaded with framework as well. Do I not worry about those unneeded files and let them ride the upload?

yiic is used to create the initial skeleton of the webapp… you already did that as you have a complete project… so you only need to upload everything to the server :D

About the framework you only need the “framework” folder… all below that folder cannot be accessed from the web user as it’s prevented with the .htaccess file (deny from all)… so leaving gii is not a problem… but you need to disable it in your config/main.php