HTTP Basic Authentication for REST API

I am building a REST API using (the so cool) Yii2 . I have all the basic CRUD functionality in place. Now I am trying to implement HTTP Basic Authentication. I used the Yii2 advanced template to start with which provides the “User” table with auth_key. However the “access_token” column is excluded from the table. So, with the authentication layer using $behaviors[‘authenticator’], when I am trying to login, I am getting error message as shown below:

public function behaviors()

{

$behaviors = parent::behaviors();

$behaviors['authenticator'] = [

'class' => HttpBasicAuth::className(),

];

$behaviors['bootstrap'] = [

'class' => ContentNegotiator::className(),

'formats' => [

'application/json' => Response::FORMAT_JSON,

],

];

return $behaviors;

}

public static function findIdentityByAccessToken($token, $type = null)

{

throw new NotSupportedException('"findIdentityByAccessToken" is not implemented.');

}

<response>

<name>Not Supported</name>

<message>"findIdentityByAccessToken" is not implemented.</message>

<code>0</code>

<type>yii\base\NotSupportedException</type>

</response>

What I understand is that findIdentityByAccessToken() method in User.php does not yet implement the "access_token" feature. So the question is what steps do I need to take to implement that. Kindly help me in that. I prefer to do this without installing any extensions.

Authorization

Also, I need to provide access to users based on in which group(role) they fall. So how do I implement that in REST API. Should I just send the role information as a response to the client upon successful authentication. Will that suffice the requirement? Or do I have to think more than that?

Brief of roles in my use case: Users are grouped as admin, retailer, distributor and mechanic. They will see different content on the same page based on which role they fall in.