How to use widget as action provider?

I would like to access an action defined in my widget via a controller. I would like to access the actionGetData() action in my WeekReport widget via the route r=controller/weekReport.getData

This is what I have in my controller:

public function actions() {

return array(

'weekReport.'=>'application.components.WeekReport'

);

}

And in my widget:

public $actionPrefix = 'action';

public static function actions() {

return array(

'getData'=>'WeekReport'

);

}

public function actionGetData() {

//...

}

But Yii throws this error:

Any help? I can not find any good examples to reference…

return array(

'weekReport.GetData'=>'application.components.WeekReport'

);

}

Do you not need to match the full action name in the actions array?

dont you need to set your actionPrefix in your widget as weekReport ? http://www.yiiframework.com/doc/api/1.1/CWidget#actions-detail

Not sure, how it’s supposed to be configured - but i think you should leave actionPrefix empty. Otherwhise you’d have to add it to your actionIDs in your route.

EDIT:

Sorry, Antonio, you actually pointed to the same direction. Didn’t read carefully enough.

I am now using the full path in my widget:

return array(

'weekReport.GetData'=>'application.components.WeekReport'

);

}

Now I just get a blank page. I tried setting the $actionPrefix to ‘’, ‘action’, ‘weekReport’, ‘weekReport.’. Still get blank page… I can tell that the widget is being loaded on the request to controller/weekReport.getData. It just does not execute the action

I know now how it works, here the steps my friend:

// create an action class

<?php

class getData extends CAction{

public function run(){

echo 'HELLO WORLD';

}

}

// in your widget:

<?php

class weekReport extends CWidget{

public $actionPrefix = 'test.';

// now is an action provider 

public static function actions(){

return array(

'GetData'=>'application.components.actions.getData',

);

}

}

// in your controller

public function actions()

{

return array(

'test.'=>'application.components.weekReport',

);

}

// to call it

index.php?r=site/test.GetData

I really enjoyed this post… :) I think i will write a wiki about it…

I was starting to suspect that that was the only solution…

Is there no way to put the action in the widget itself? After all, CWidget extends CBaseController.

The reason I would like to do this is to easily re-use methods that I have defined in the widget.

I could always use a third component for the common code in the widget… But I think it would be nice if we could define actions in widgets themselves

I tried that before creating external CAction files but no luck. As you said, it could be a nice feature to enhance future releases (you are part of the team) with encapsulated actions instead of just external ones.

I created a ticket for this. I am actually not on the dev team anymore… Since I started studying at UC Berkeley as an Electrical Engineering & Computer Sciences major I have not had much time anymore to devote to Yii. IDK why I am still a forum mod…

Hi Jonah,

I found another way to do it by using the run method and checking the actual request. I know it is not what is supposed to be done but… actions are called using the run() method of the component, so you can create a workaround on your widget.

public static function actions(){

return array(

'test'=>'application.components.weekReport',

);

}

public function actionTest(){

echo 'Test';

}

public function run(){

$uri = (Yii::app()->getRequest()->getRequestUri());

$method = 'action'.ucfirst(substr($uri,strrpos($uri,'.')+1));

$this->$method();

}

//  use same as before for your controller,

// and to call it

index.php?r=site/test.Test

Good luck with your studies… I wish you the best (I am actually envying you a bit :) )

Ah… this is very nice except one set-back. The run() method also happens to be called on CBaseController::endWidget(). So when I try to use the widget as an actual widget, the action will also be called which is not desirable in my case.

A workaround though would be to set a flag in init() (which is called in CBaseController::createWidget()) so in run() we can tell how it was called. There are other workarounds too…