How To Pull A Column From A Table?

How can I pull data from an extra table in my database?

Lets say my table is called "clients", and my column is "name", how can I pull the data to show it?

Thanks a lot!

Yes - Yii uses an MVC approach so you need to have a Model (usually represents a row in your database) and a controller (allows users to perform actions against that model - view, update etc)

The easiest way is to use the Gii code generator to build your model and controller.

gii.jpg

[list=1][]create your Model (database table must be created already)[]create your CRUD (Create, Read, Update, Delete) operations[/list]

After generating your CRUD, the Gii generator should provide you with a sample link to test; I think…

Good luck - Yii has a much more flexible architecture than most CMSes but a bit of a learning curve for newcomers. Once you get the hang of it, it’s a piece of cake.

Matt

Thanks so much for your help. How do I get to the code generator? I’m very dumb with this lol. I noticed there’s a generator folder inside the gii folder… am I supposed to open something inside of that or is it a webbased generator? Or how do I get to the menu in the screencap you posted?

If you’re working on localhost:

You do have to setup the config for it in your main config file. See the link in the 1st post I sent.

My code looks like this.

'modules' => array(

'gii' => array(

'class' => 'system.gii.GiiModule',

'password' => 'blahblah',

),

),

Matt

Thanx so much for the help so far. I’m pretty sure I’ll get a hang of it, as soon as I can get into the GII generator… but I’m not having luck yet. I added the code to my config file, however, my website then appeared blank, so I removed it again.

The script uses a database.php file to connect to the db, and not a config file. This is what it looks like:

I tried placing it above or underneath the, but didn’t work… is it supposed to be inside the brackets or something?

Also, the place where I need to enter a password in the code you gave… must it be the same as my db? Or is it a new one I enter to access the GII generator?

When it comes to the URL of the gii generator… I don’t know if it’s cause I don’t have the config info set up yet, but neither one of the URLs are working. I’m not sure if it’s cause the site is running on a script, but right now the folder structure is like this: The script is in the root, and then there’s a “yii” folder, and inside it is a “gii” folder. Not sure if my folder structure changes the URL or something?

I really really appreciate your help! Thank you!

@cp11 as you are posting in the Yii 1.0.x section, is your app created with that version of Yii ?

Because Gii was added only later on Yii 1.1.x

Can you please post a sample internal link the site uses? Also paste your config file - minus the usernames/pwds

If all else fails, post your DB schema and I’ll whip up the Model, Controller, and Views for you.

Matt

[color="#008000"]NOTE: moved to proper section (General Discussion for Yii 1.1.x instead of 1.0.x)[/color]