How To Properly Use Clientvalidation Attribute

What is correct way of using $htmlOptions[‘clientValidation’] attribute for CActiveForm.error() function?

Citing documentation:

[size=2]OK. So I’m using a code like this:[/size]

<?php 

$validationArray = array

(

'hideErrorMessage'=>TRUE,

'clientValidation'=>'js:afterValidateAttribute'

);

?>

<div class="row">

<?php echo($form->labelEx($model, 'name')); ?>

<?php echo($form->textField($model, 'name')); ?>

<?php echo($form->error($model, 'name', $validationArray)); ?>

</div>

[size=2]And a very strange things happens.[/size]

Not only, my Javascript function [size="2"]afterValidateAttribute() is not being called / executed, but also, when I take a look into source code, I see some garbage.[/size]

[size="2"]Error fields looks like this:[/size]

[size="2"]

<div clientValidation="js:afterValidateAttribute" class="errorMessage" id="Contact_subject_em_" style="display:none"></div>

[/size]

[size="2"]so Yii is rendering [/size][size="2"]clientValidation as a normal attribute. Also it does not stop serving default (built-in) client-side validator (it should supply my own, if I understand these things correctly), but in adds a strange string inside. So particular client-side validator looks like this:[/size]

[size="2"]

'clientValidation':function(value, messages, attribute)

{

js:afterValidateAttribute

if($.trim(value)=='')

{

messages.push("Field can't be empty!");

}

if($.trim(value)!='')

{

if(value.length>70)

{

messages.push("Field's content is too long");

}

}

}

[/size][size="2"]Is this some kind of bug?[/size]

[size=“2”]If I’m not missing something obvious or doing something very wrong, [/size][size=“2”]using[/size] $htmlOptions[‘clientValidation’] [size=“2”]attribute is completely useless for me. I managed to apply my own, custom client-side validation only by turning build-in client validation off ([/size]hideErrorMessage) and using afterValidateAttribute. I failed completely doing this easier way, i.e. using clientValidation[size=“2”].[/size]

Dear Friend

Thanks for unearthing the property clientValidation in htmlOptions of CActive::form() method.

I was not aware of its existance.

I found that the following is the successful way of utilizing that option.

echo $form->error($model,'location',

array('clientValidation'=>'js:

if($.trim(value)=="")

{

messages.push("Field can\'t be empty!");

}

if($.trim(value)!="")

{

if(value.length>7)

{

messages.push("Field\'s content is too long");

}

}

'),false,true); 

We have to set enableClientValidation as true.

clientValidation is set as attribute.The attribute value is inserted into the body of the function

with following signature.

function(value, messages, attribute) 

{

htmlOptions['clientValidation']; //piece of javascript.

//This is followed by javascript renderd by custom validators in which client side validation is available. 

$validator1->clientValidation->js;

$validator2->clientValidation->js;

}

Thanks again.

Thank you for your answer. It has cleared out some things for me.

First of all, my private client-side validation function wasn’t called-up, because I made an error of using functionName instead of functionName().

Second of all, there is unclear information in documentation. I assumed that using clientValidation code replaces build-in one, while (as you showed) it actually is added to original one.

Finally, the fact that Yii renders <span clientValidation is a confirmed bug and it will be fixed soon.

Thanks again!