How To Enable Schema Caching With Mysql Database

Hi everyone,

I’m at the end of the yii blog tutorial. Final tuning with schema caching. The tutorials code goes for schema caching with sqllite and I wondered what to choose for MySQL databases.

The given example for the configuration file main.php is as followed:

return array(

'components'=>array(

'cache'=>array(

'class'=>'CDbCache',

),

'db'=>array(

'class'=>'system.db.CDbConnection',

'connectionString'=>'sqlite:/wwwroot/blog/protected/data/blog.db',

'schemaCachingDuration'=>3600,

),

),

);

I’ve found an russian topic, title: Integrity Constraint Violation Db Schema Cache, which was getting close in the forum search to my questions but not an answer. Furthermore, I can’t read russian text.

So what about something like this:

return array(

'components'=>array(

'cache'=>array(

'class'=>'CDbCache',

),

'db'=>array(

'connectionString' => 'mysql:host=localhost;dbname=yii_tables',

'emulatePrepare' => true,

'schemaCachingDuration'=>3600,

),

),

);

And what are the options in the main.php for caching, generally?

Actually, caching DB queries using DB-based cache is kinda questionable.

I suppose you can gain some profit if you use something like memcache or memory DB engine.

Thank you Orey for the quick reply.

I agree with you that caching DB queries in a DB cache is not really thoughtful.

But, it’s actually not about caching DB queries. I’m looking for a nice and simple way to cache the DB schema, like it is in the yii blog tutorial.

Here is the reason, why they’ve used schema caching:

That’s pretty much the same, because DB schema is get by querying “SHOW FULL COLUMNS” and “SHOW CREATE TABLE”.

Uhm, ORey? You are aware that CDbCache is working with uncached DAO, are you?

Sure, but still it’s yet another DB request. Plus GC, btw.

PS. Sorry, last week I am like "oh no, not again, leave my DB alone!"

Ah, there’s still MySQL’s internal query cache taking care of that :lol:

But seriously: While there are certainly better options, there is technicaly nothing wrong with using CDbCache as a query and schema cache. Wouldn’t use this in production, though :rolleyes:

Actually, I suppose one can use memory storage engine, making DB cache lightning fast (?)

But the thing is, those who can do this also can install something like memcached.

BTW: as far as I remember, db cache table doesn’t have any indexes out of the box. Since this can eventually lead to significant performance loss, it must be taken into account.

Well, I think SQLite can also operate tables entirely in-memory … And CDbCache can be configure to use a differrent database than Yii::app()->db.

How very true.

Thanks for the help!