how to correctly pronounce Yii ?

Hi. This is my first post with a very simple question: how to correctly pronounce Yii ?

The letter ‘E’. ;)

The letter 'E'. ;)

well let me see if I understood:

option 1: Yii == E (pronounced: 'ee' like Lee)

option 2: or it's like the Yahoo frwrk Yui where I pronounce the letter Y (pronounce 'why') followed by UI, so in this case Yii will be: 'why' + 'ee' ?

ps. sorry for asking it, but in case someone asks me which php framework i use, i'd like to at least pronounce its name correctly :slight_smile:

Option 1 is correct.

Great … thanx for clarifying it …

ps. I'm still not really developing with Yii, but intend to … I'm reading the:

http://www.pradosoft…ic,11022.0.html

because I'm a bit worried about jumping in the Yii bandwagon and suddenly its development to be ceased, but as someone said in the forums "someday things will change anyway in sw development…" and by the researches i'm doing with web frameworks (not just PHP, but Ruby frwrks and also .Net) I would say that Yii is in my top list :slight_smile:

Oh great, and I've been pronouncing it 'yee' this whole time.

I think 'yee' is actually a cool pronunciation

Oh great, and I've been pronouncing it 'yee' this whole time.

I think 'yee' is actually a cool pronunciation

Mee too  :-\

I think Qiang must have audio file to make all people have the same Yii pronounce  ;D

;) because I’m not a native English speaker, it seems to me “Yee” and “E” are very similar. Anyone can explain what the difference is? 

Qiang, I am not native too, but Yee sounds to me more like "iee", like "J" in "Johan". German speakers could understand me best. "E" in english is more or less like "i" in other languages, but maybe longer.

So, at the moment, I have read what is the pronunciation according to you, but of course it may not be the most correct one. After all, most of us are not natives and everybody has their own way of analyzing information.

;) because I'm not a native English speaker, it seems to me "Yee" and "E" are very similar. Anyone can explain what the difference is?

We understand that, I'm not a native english speaker as well, and that's why I got interested in how to correctly pronounce Yii, actually if you allowed me, it's quite and interesting idea to define that Yii, could be pronounced as similar to Yui (yahoo library) : why + ee, because if people ask: why ee? you could answer, "because 'ee' stands for:  easy, efficient and extensible, that's why 'ee'

:slight_smile:

sohdubom, sorry man, but I can't find the long 'ee' in easy and extensible. What speaker are you? If you are Roman Speaker, then "e" in English, should be more or less like "i". Like "i" in the word "intricacy", but "e" is longer". Maybe actually it is Yee, but the best association I saw was with the name Lee. In Chinese films which I have watched, it is the best association, but with Y.

hi penkomitev, my native language is portuguese-brazilian, so 'ee' sounds like Lee (minus the L letter) and the letter we use in portuguese that sounds like 'ee' is just the letter 'I' so in portuguese 'ee' would be spoken with the letter 'I' in mind

an Yii in portuguese is a bit hard since we rarely use the letter 'Y' so here in brazil people will probably use 2 main ways to pronounce Yii:

1. sounded like the word 'WHY'

2. sounded like the word 'yee'

both wrong since it's pronounced: 'ee'

a bit confusing…

Yes, as I supposed you are a Roman-speaking group speaker. You would write the "e" as me in bulgarian alphabet, transliteration with "i". Dunno, but does it matter after all. The framework is great and this is important.

You're right, what counts in the end is the great framework :slight_smile:

Interesting. When reading it first, i’d also have pronounced it like “Yee”. Qiang, thing of “year” without pronouncing the “ar” in the end. Correct me if i’m wrong, but in chinese the pitch of e.g. a vocal is also important, right? So if it’s a word with chinese origin, maybe a audio sample would really be insightful :).

;) because I'm not a native English speaker, it seems to me "Yee" and "E" are very similar. Anyone can explain what the difference is?

In IPA, “E” (or “EE”) is  [i:] and “Yee” is [ji:].  I generally pronounce it “Yee, uh, no, EE”.  ;D  To a native speaker of American English born on the fringes of the General American region (Johnny Carson English), “Yee” sounds more natural to me:  First, English has only two non-dipthong single sound words: ‘a’ and ‘oh’.  The first usually gets swallowed as a schaw sound, and the second is more an exclamation than a true word.  Single sound words just seem unnatural to a native speaker of English.  Second, although ‘y’ is sometimes pronounced [i:] in English, it is never pronounced that way as the first letter of a word.  As an initial letter, it is always [j].  I try to pronounce “Yii” as dictated on the about page, but–like I said–it always comes out “Yee, uh, no, EE”.

Thanks for your detailed explanation. It seems Yee does sound more natural for most English speaker. I will update the relevant pages accordingly.

If I understand what was said "Yii" was derive from the Chinese word "易"

and from the translator:

容易 translate to English "easy"

from my dictionary "易" has a sounding in English as "Yih"

Just for kick!