How to compare two literals in ActiveRecord, e.g., 1 > 2

I need to be able to use an ActiveRecord Query class to refind my search to “is the day of week X AND other conditions.” I am stumped and having issues figuring this out, esp since I can do it easily in mysqlc but totally fail when doing the same where clause in ActiveRecord.

I have an ActiveRecord that is defined like this:

type = enum('recurring','once')
recurring = enum('every day', 'every week day')
dow=integer()

If type=‘recurring’, then I want to know if it is ‘every day’ or ‘every week day’. For ‘every day’, that’s easy because I don’t have to compare the current day to anything:

[ 'and',
	[ 'rtm_schedule_type.name'           => ScheduleType::SCHEDULE_TYPE_RECURRING],
	[ 'rtm_schedule_option.recurring'    => ScheduleOption::SCHEDULE_OPTION_RECURRING_EVERY_DAY],
],

Where I’m struggling is with ‘every week day’. In mysqlc, I can do this:

mysql> select count(id) as cntid from rtm_category where 3 < 5;
+-------+
| cntid |
+-------+
|     4 |
+-------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Put another way, I can say the following to determine if I am within ‘every week day’:

select * from table where `dow +%w` >= 1 and  `dow +%w` <= 5

However, I can’t make this work with ActiveRecord. I’ve tried everything, including variations on the format below, parameters, passing a single string with SQL, etc:

[ 'and',
	[ 'rtm_schedule_option.recurring'    => ScheduleOption::SCHEDULE_OPTION_RECURRING_EVERY_WEEK_DAY],
	[ '>=', $dateToUse->format('w'), '1' ],
],

Generally I get an error like this:

Caused by: Exception 'PDOException' with message 'SQLSTATE[42S22]: Column not found: 1054 Unknown column '4' in 'where clause''

And the error is here:

((`rtm_schedule_type`.`name`='Recurring') AND (`rtm_schedule_option`.`recurring`='Every Week Day') AND (`4` >= '1'))

Specifically, here: (4 >= ‘1’)

I am trying to extend my Query class and am really stumped on this one. It’s probably obvious, but I can’t figure it out after reading the docs a few times: Working with Databases: Active Record | The Definitive Guide to Yii 2.0 | Yii PHP Framework

Maybe I’m approaching this in the wrong way? Or, I just don’t know the syntax that AR wants for this…

Figured it out! Leaving here for others. Pretty silly really. If I’m focused on figuring out the day of week, I just need to use the MySQL function for that in my code. Here we go:

[ 'and',
	[ 'rtm_schedule_option.recurring'    => ScheduleOption::SCHEDULE_OPTION_RECURRING_EVERY_WEEK_DAY],
	[ 'between', 'WEEKDAY(curdate())', 1, 5 ],
],

I am glad you found a way, but fundamentally (while SQL allows it) comparing two constants inside a SQL query should be avoided and done outside of the query. You will end up with an if condition rather than a SQL where clause.

I don’t agree that this is a bad approach. Can you help me understand why you consider it bad?

If I convert this into an if() outside of the SQL query, my SQL will have to return a larger result that I have to process and refine OR I have to issue multiple queries to the SQL engine. Using this approach, I can issue a single query that gives me the exact results I need.

I am open to criticism, but I’m not seeing the issue you are mentioning.

My thought process here is that, if you already have the two literals to compare, you can avoid the SQL itself. It is quite possible I don’t fully understand what you are trying to do. And it’s an opinion, and in the scheme of things I don’t think it makes any difference at all. It seemed to me you can avoid a SQL call by using a condition outside.

@dp778899
I think you could use yii\db\Expression to compare two literals.

[ 'and',
	[ '>=', new Expression($dateToUse->format('w')), 1 ],
],

or

[ 'and',
	new Expression($dateToUse->format('w') . ' >= 1'),
],

Sorry, but they are not tested.

@snathan
A literal in a SQL statement could be a variable in a PHP program. As you see $dateToUse->format('w') in the code snippet of @dp778899, you may want to use a PHP variable as a literal in a SQL statement. So if you want to avoid comparing literals in SQL, you may end up writing more PHP source lines with if/else or swich/case and many SQLs that are slightly different.

1 Like

I came across a similar situation myself. Resolved it by conditionally adding a where clause to the query. Below is the example:

//Define base query
$qAtable = Sometable::find()->andWhere(['somecolumn' => 'N'])
     ->andWhere(['anothercolumn' => $anothervariable])
     ->andWhere(['<=','onemorecolumn', $onemorevar]);

// Add SQL Where condition, if PHP condition is met, to the Query
if ($specificvar <= 700)
    $qAtable->andWhere(['not', ['colstatus' => 'Started']]);

// Execute
$dpAtable = new ActiveDataProvider(['query' => $qAtable,]);
1 Like