How Do I Make The Web Folder The Root?

I downloaded the basic template and put the files in the root of my domain…

mysite.com

/ assets

/ commands

/ config

/web

This is on a shared server so I can’t create virtual hosts.

All the files must remain under mysite.com but I don’t want to have to do mysite.com/web

I just want to do mysite.com

Is this possible?

Thank you.

Take a look at this extension:

http://www.yiiframework.com/extension/yii2-app-practical/

It is a modified version of the advanced template which should be exactly what you want.

You can always change the basic template according to the changes in that extension too ;)

Hello,

You can refer this link:

aaronfrancis.com/blog/2014/1/9/hosting-an-advanced-yii2-application-on-heroku

Good luck.

Can you write files to outside of the webroot?

No,

I don’t move any files.I only edit .htaccess file as content of that link.However,it done with Yii2-basic but Yii2-advance is not.

The question is if you can. Usually at shared hosting you can move out of webroot at least one level up.

No,i can’t, because it will have error css.

Samdark,

Yes, I am able to write to the sibling folder but the reason I would rather not is because I have two other domains and an app in a folder on that shared host so I would prefer to keep all of a domain’s files under its domain folder.

Do you have an opinion about the yii2-app-practical extension recommended by rooney10? I’ve been burned by extensions before but if this is a safe and secure solution I’ll give it a try.

What do you recommend?

Thank you!

It is not extension but application template. Looks not much different from official app to me but, of course, it’s better to review it before using.

OK, thank you.

Alright, this seems to work.

However, if I do something like

mysite.com/console

then I get a directory listing.

Should this template protect against that?

You need to control this through your web server security (e.g. you can use .htaccess for apache). Typically you can set this at your app root level which will work hierarchially.

IMO… this should be done irrespective of the template (including basic or advanced) you are using.

For example you can create a .htaccess file in your console folder containing:

deny from all

, which will restrict access to the console. You can also set a master .htaccess at app root for all folders below.

I will edit the yii2-app-practical template to include maybe a sample .htaccess with some common security rules inbuilt. This will benefit people using Apache.

I pushed in a default .htaccess to the yii2-app-practical template for Apache web server security (which one can edit if needed).

If you try a reinstall of the yii2-app-practical template it should now restrict accesses.