Having trouble splitting website into models, views and controllers

Hi,

I’m sorry to be asking this question because I know it’s so basic, but I’m a complete newbie to using a framework for PHP. I want to recreate my website, which is pretty content-heavy, however I really don’t know how to split it up for use in Yii. I’ve been through the blog tutorial and parts of the definitive guide to Yii, but I’m really stuck.

It’s basically a website for posting artwork (‘media’), with a forum, news posts, and users. The users however have a complex profile which I’ll likely have to thin down at least to start with. There are different categories for the artwork, and each piece of art has comments and ratings associated with it.

The website is here if you have the time to point me in the right direction:

nocturnalhaunt.com (won’t let me embed)

(the Games, Toons, Art and Portal sections will all be merged together when it’s remade - they all do very similar things.)

Thank you so much,

Chris

Nobody can help you, just by looking your site… the source code should be looked not the site…

You have read the documentation… but have you done the example application… have yo uunderstood how model/view/controller interoperate with each other… have you understood what goes where…

If you get the "logic"… you will know how to proceed…

as a starting point you need to make your models… then the CRUD for the models…

Hm OK, I think you’re right.

It’s just hard to see where one model ends and another begins. I’ve been thinking about it today, and I will try a few things out and see how I get on. I did the example application, but found a few things still unclear.

Thank you for the reply, I’ll make sure to use all the resources on the site

I forgot to welcome you to the forum and to the world of Yii… if you spend a week or two on the tutorials and different wiki articles here I’m confident you will get all the details… if in doubt just ask in the forum…

As for the models… usually one model represents one database table…

Don’t know if you already read that… but here is some MVC fundamentals - http://www.yiiframework.com/doc/guide/1.1/en/basics.best-practices