File and Directory permission problem

Hello all,

I am moving my development application to our new VPS hosted server. The problem is that when I upload my folder, all folder permission are set to 0777 and the files are set to 0666. I am using CPanel file manager to upload this files. Can I set the permission in my local xampp folder before I upload this so that it is already set up when I move it to the production server?

Another question is when the assets folder generates the resource files. When I try to change the permission in the file manager for a specific file e.g (update.png) it won’t change and always reverts back to the old permission.

Does anyone had this similar issue before?

LOCAL MACHINE SPECS

• macbook air 11

• xampp OS X 1.8.3-5

• php 5.5

VPS SPECS

• CPanel x3 theme

• php 5.5

Thank you.

Gian

if you change the permissions on your local machine it wont effect your VPS you probably have to set up permission on you VPS manually

So I need to change it via ssh I guess. Thank you. My other problem is that the assets resource being generated are somewhat corrupt because I cannot even access it via absolute path. e.g. (cbutton assets/cgdview/12345/update,png). The weird thing is that when I download the update.png file, delete the existing one in the assets folder and then re-upload the update.png file. It is now accessible using the absolute path and also I can edit the permission successfully. I don’t know if this is because I uploaded the entire folder using mac. This is the first time I encountered this issue.

Another thing is that when I upload a file using a form. It is also corrupted since the file exist but it can’t be accessed unless I do the steps mentioned above… :( Previously it is working. so I don’t know if it’s because of the latest upload.

Anyone has an idea how to fix this?

Hello,

I just want to update my findings. Last time, I dont have any problem moving my files from localhost to our hosting but now I need to set permissions for directory that needs to be writable, delete session.db in runtime folder just to make it work. I uploaded the new one using windows but the same error exists. When I upload a file using a form it returns a 404 error after saving the record but the file exists in the directory.

Thank you,

Gian