Eclipse and YII

Hi, i could not install the plugin, it hanged on 20% of the installation (STABLE), and when i tried with DEV version, it hanged at 19%. I just tried restarting Eclipse but nothing happens.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance

Try both. Also try others: Komodo, PhpStorm. Vote for Eclipse.

One thing that I’m missing is quick search for a string within a certain directory, but if the project is on my mashine searching a string in the entire project is quick enough…

Go with Aptana 3 :)

It rocks.

No need to pay for Phpstorm, as Aptana supports not only Yii and PHP, but Sass/Scss, Ruby, Python, Css, …

I used Eclipse in the past, then switched to NetBeans. I’ve been very happy with it, but I started using PhpStorm this week and it feels good.

In the past I tried Codelobster and Aptana, too.

Another vote for Netbeans here. I’ve tried pretty much all alternatives, and they all lack in one way or another. Netbeans is by no means perfect, but at least I don’t have to fight it, like some alternatives.

I use Eclipse+Yiiclipse (http://yiiclipse.maziarz.org).

It’s very good!

Reopening old topic.

I’ve just switched from Netbeans to Eclipse, as I died with so called Netbeans “speed”.

Though Yiiclipse doesn’t seems to be working (at least for me) and though everything is new for me in Eclipse, I finally made that decission and I don’t think I’ll regret it.

Back in 2010, when I started using Netbeans, it was fast like a hell (in terms of Java applications, where all of them are generally slow) and Eclipse seems to be sooou slooow. Few months after, with release of NB7 they’ve implemented “slowness detector” (which actually killed me off laughing, first time I saw it) and then my nightmare started.

I simply can’t afford, on dual-processor notebook with 4 GB or RAM and Windows 7, to wait 5-10 seconds between I double click an item in project’s tree and file is actually opened. I’m trying to learn calmness and emotion-less peace (again), but this is beyond what I can accept.

As good as dramatic, idiotic absurds like opening file in some strange encoding (not UTF8) even though it is UTF8-encoded and even though UTF8 is set as default encoding of all files, only because that file is outside current project folder structure. Nightmare!

I’ve been using PhpStorm for last 7 months now. It helped me gain productivity like no other IDE.

It is fast enough and has loads of features. I’m not looking back.

Yes, it is paid, but it is well worth it.

Good God, the price isn’t the problem. The configuration (loads of features, you name) is the problem!

When I first started PhpStorm and went to it’s configuration panel I was devastated with the number of options, parameters and configuration switches, it offers. Five or six configuration tabs in Netbeans seems to be far to much as for me. And PhpStorms offers over fifty (if not more) configuration screens, organized in two or even three level treeview structure, because tabs were not enough to hold this entire thing.

But, you’re right – it is extremely fast (at least in accordance to veeeeery slooooow Netbeans and other Java-based stuff) and it is certainly worth it’s prices, if only someone can cover the enormous number of options, features and possibilities this software offers.

I actually started using it without much configuration. Then I changed the settings on demand.

I’m sure I don’t use all it offers, but I still think that it is worth it.

The most important fact is: I’m comfortable with it. My advice to anyone is to try the available IDEs and pick the one that fits better your style. You can see on a previous post that I tried many IDEs before sticking with PhpStorm.

I completely agree with Rodrigo, probably sharing almost the same experience with Eclipse, Netbeans and PHPStorm. I loved the former two, but I won’t come back to them. Hmm, well, I’ve got nothing much to add. :(