DooPHP

Hello everyone.

I found this page http://www.doophp.com/benchmark

where cakephp, qeephp, CI and Yii are compared with dooPHP!

Please check this page and comment, how much truth is in there!!! I am not sure how to test it myself, can anyone make comparisons??

DooPHP is simpler than others, so it is understandable~

but does that mean, it is possible to have faster framework than Yii?? Where I thought faster and more efficient is Yii’s primary goal…

I agree, they have used 1.1b version for testing. So, is it that 1.1b is quite yet not optimized for speed?

Yii is both fast and effecient. DooPHP is fast, however it doesn’t offer half the tools that Yii does.

Absolutely.

Plain HTML is even faster :slight_smile:

My main question was, is it possible to make Yii more faster with all the current features? Is it optimized in beta version? Yii performance benchmark page is not yet updated. As, Doo framework while giving similar features, they claim it is faster than Yii 1.1b version.

I guess Yii (latest version as well) is already fully optimized. I took a look at the Doo framework and I didn’t really liked it. Did you do the same? Speed isn’t everything. :blink: Also there’s already a huge gap between CakePHP and Yii and still both framework are far away from the Doo performance. This advantage doesn’t come from nowhere. Also as you can see in the Doo benchmark, Yii takes most advantage of PHP OpCode-cachers.

Yii can take even better advantage of OpCode-cachers if you are using the Yiilite.php file. This removes most of the need to include any other files, which can significantly speed things up with OpCode caching.

My work does a lot of projects in cake, mainly because it is very quick for development and prototyping. I, thankfully, do not have to work with it. Some of the things cake does to allow for it’s amazing (and it is amazing) dynamic abilities adds a lot of overhead to page execution. The more magic that happens behind the scenes, the more overhead you will have for page execution.

I have a homebrew framework that is pretty basic, but covers most of the needs that I had for the project for which I originally wrote it. The thing is blasted fast, but it is really more of a wrapper to allow for standardized page-serving inside of an MVC paradigm. (http://daraphp.org/) if you care. It’s been a few years since I messed with it, and there is a lot I would change if I were to pick it up again. Point is that it is much master than Yii for the amount of pages it can handle per second. It, however, doesn’t have as much functionality as Yii does.

DooPHP, looks a bit interesting, and I might play with it. However, like their mission statement said, they aren’t trying to have a lot of fancy functionality for the framework, just something to simplify serving pages inside an MVC structure. Yii is trying to allow for more flexibility and accessibility and to be an application core, rather than just a page serving machine.

It all depends on what you are looking for. Pick the right tool for the job. If you want something that is fast, but doesn’t have as many features, go with DooPHP. If you are looking for something slower that has more features and can be extended, go with Yii.

True, but from the Doo benchmark (which doesn’t use the lite version) we can already see that Yii performs 6,8 times better with caching, Doo for example only 3,6 times. I would go so far to say there’s no need to use Doo if you want max speed. I mean the bottleneck is somewehre else in the range of > 500 request per second. I really don’t see any benefit of a faster framework with less features and so on. Just saying this to the thread starter. Of course every framework has the right to exist. :)

Well, I’m not on favor of DooPHP. My main reason to start the topic was, if we can update Yii’s performance benchmark page with the latest version. If anyone can get such statistics out. Its quite a bit time, and now that 1.1 RC is out, someone can really update in some threads, what they find.

I liked the syntax Yii uses, than Doo basically. So, of course I want Yii to be improved more :) wherever and in whatever way it can…

Moreover, it seems like they didn’t use yiilite.php when benchmarking