Does using 3rd party POST data always require disabling $enableCsrfValidation?

I’ve found that anytime I have a 3rd party application that performs an action via my yii2 app where POST data is sent that I need to grab, I have to disable enableCsrfValidation.

Is that always required? Or am I doing this wrong?

Here is an example where, to make this work, I have to disable enableCsrfValidation inside the Controller via public $enableCsrfValidation = false. This is a Controller that is used to fill in a ActiveRecord for a class that manages a form. The only time this action is taken is by a 3rd party app to send us data. The 3rd party app is sending a user to us. It sends us some POST data so we can figure out who the user is.

public function actionCreate()
	{
		$model = new DispatchRequestForm();

if (Yii::$app->request->post()) {
			$postData = Yii::$app->request->post();

$model->client = ArrayHelper::getValue($postData, 'client', null);
			$model->secret = ArrayHelper::getValue($postData, 'secret', null);
			$model->request_by = ArrayHelper::getValue($postData, 'request_by', null);
			$model->ticket_psa_id = ArrayHelper::getValue($postData, 'ticket_id', null);
			$model->type = ArrayHelper::getValue($postData, 'type', null);
		}

// saveAll() will delete existing related records, so we exclude those for loadAll() and saveAll()
		if ($model->loadAll(Yii::$app->request->post()) && $model->saveAll()) {
			$model->user_id = Yii::$app->user->id;
			return $this->redirect( ['view', 'id' => $model->id] );
		} else {
			return $this->render('create', [ 'model' => $model, ]);
		}
	}

Form submission must have CSRF validation because we expect them to be sent on same site (note CSRF = Cross Site Request Forgery)

You need to get third party data via an API end-point. Disabling CRSF protection means anyone can send malicious form from any site and win!

CSRF token enhances security and you should avoid disabling it.
Anyway, for every third application request, you should secure your endpoint from non-authenticated or unauthorized requests, and CSRF token does it better.

You can see how someone has solved:

m