Display error message

Hi, I am a newbie at Yii framework and I have a question today about displaying custom error message.

First, my current app is baked with the Gii CRUD generator. When deleting a company record, I want to ignore the cases where there is existing job records relate to it and display a message to inform user.

Thus I manually do the checking in onBeforeDelete() then stop the operation and using this in my controller:

public function actionDelete($id)

{

if(Yii::app()->request->isPostRequest)

{

// we only allow deletion via POST request

$result = $this->loadModel($id)->delete();

if(!$result)

{

Yii::app()->user->setFlash('deleteError','This company can not be deleted because there are existing jobs.');

$this->redirect(array('view','id'=>$id));

}

else

{

// if AJAX request (triggered by deletion via admin grid view), we should not redirect the browser

if(!isset($_GET['ajax']))

$this->redirect(isset($_POST['returnUrl']) ? $_POST['returnUrl'] : array('index'));

}

}

else

throw new CHttpException(400,'Invalid request. Please do not repeat this request again.');

}

It work fine in view page and display the user flash message, but in admin page with zii CGridView and AJAX delete, I can’t figure out how to display the error message.

Is there an easy way around this? Or is there a function to fire custom errors from model & controller easily?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

What i do is to get the response of the ajax json encoded and then in cgridview replace the default delete button for one of mine and then handle the ajax json response

more about CButtonColumn customization here

I also use a js class to handle all responses, but that is up to you

Gustavo, thank you for the quick response. I gonna try using the customize delete button for AJAX.