Debug using dbg module with Nusphere PhpEd IDE

Hello,

I just wanted to know how to setup a debugging session using Nusphere PhpEd.

I have installed the dbg module, and my phpinfo states it is installed correctly:

This program makes use of the Zend Scripting Language Engine:

Zend Engine v2.3.0, Copyright © 1998-2009 Zend Technologies

with DBG v3.8.10, (C) 2000,2009, by Dmitri Dmitrienko

Everywhere i look, people seem to be suggesting Netbeans as a great IDE to debug with.

What about PhpEd?

When i set a breakpoint in my controller’s index action and click debug, it tries to open the page to the litteral location on the disk (instead of the MVC style address).

I then get a forbidden error, saying i do not have access to that page.

It seems like the MVC framework is confusing the debugger…

I also ran the project settings wizard in PhpEd and all tests of debugging and setting breakpoints and stepping through, PASSED!

So everything seems to be working, except maybe a missing Yii config somewhere or my IDE just sucks for that with MVC framworks.

Help would be awesome!

Thanks

Joel

So you asked about this a while ago and I PM’d you to see if you had figured it out. The answer was no, but if I came up with anything, let you know. Well, here we go.

When you install PhpED, make sure to install the IE debug toolbar.

Once you have the dbg module installed, as your post indicates you do, open PhpED and select Tools->Default Browser and select External IE.

In PhpED, find the line you want to debug. Hit F5 and set a break point.

In your external IE browser, browse to the page you want to debug, or the page with the link to the page you want to debug, or whatever the case may be. In the debug toolbar, click the down arrow next to Debug, and select the appropriate option. For example, if you want to start a debug session for the page at the link you’re about to click on, pick “Debug next page.” Take whatever action is necessary, whether it’s clicking a link, refreshing the page, etc. and your debug session will start in PhpED wherever you had set a break point, assuming that break point is executed.

Hope this helps!

FYI, there’s also a Chrome plugin for this here:

And Firefox, here:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/dbgbar/

I think the FF one is more mature. I prefer Chrome, though :)

BStep! You are awesome!

I was going to say, I guess ill have to use IE for the first time in many years, but if there are plugins in ff and chrome, it is a glorious day !! :)

Thanks so much for your time and input. Im going to try this out this week and let you know how it goes. Thanks again!

I prefer to use Codelobster IDE to debug Yii projects - CodeLobster - Yii plug-in for Free Portable PHP IDE with support Drupal, Smarty, Twig, WordPress, Joomla, JQuery, CodeIgniter, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, AngularJS, CakePHP, Facebook, Laravel, Symfony, Yii