Data replication advice needed

Hi all,

I am trying to design a data replication process from my staging DB to my production DB, that idealy I can automate via cron. I have come up with an idea but would like to have it reviewed by the creative Yii pros here and to get some critics on how to improve it.

Staging DB:

1. SELECT … INTO OUTFILE (exporting desired tables; performance is not imperative since this is on staging)

2. FTP the file to a folder on the production instance

Production DB:

1. Cron job runs every … mins and checks if DB export file exists. If it does go to step 2.

2. Enter into Maintenance mode(suggestions how to automate this are very welcome :) )

3. Truncate table1,table2…etc (until all exported tables are empty and ready for import; performance is imperative)

4. LOAD DATA INFILE (performance is imperative since on production)

5. Switch maintenance mode off.

Concerns:

The operations on Production are mostly in replace mode (old data deleted and new imported due to the nature of the data), which implies that the production storefront may go down therefore I am thinking how to optimize the import combined with automatically switching into maintenance mode… importing the data as fast as possible and than switching maint mode off.

All suggestions and critics are welcome.

Cheers,

bettor

p.s. I heard a rumor that the staff is designing a replication process as part of Yii but not sure what it will include and when it will be released and I need to start off with something so I can replicate data until then.

Production DB:

1. Cron job runs every … mins and checks if DB export file exists. If it does go to step 2.

Check http://www.yiiframework.com/doc/guide/1.1/en/topics.console

You can write commands and schedule it in cron

2. Enter into Maintenance mode(suggestions how to automate this are very welcome :) )

Check http://www.yiiframework.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3975-maintenance-mode/page__p__21329__hl__maintenance#entry21329

Hi Pradhan,

I was aware of the console application and that was the way I was going to implement the cron job. Thanks for pointing me to the maintenance mode suggestion. It seems a bit of a burden every time a user loads a page to force the application to check if a file exists… I might have to look for more elegant solution on this

Cheers,

bettor