Custom User/Server settings manager convention question

Hi, this is my first and I am new to Yii. I am currently working on a user/server settings manager component, each of which is completely configurable. For example, when a user logs in he or she has these settings, but if he or she doesn’t I want them to load from the server settings. The best use case I have is timezones, a user can setting there own timezone, but if he or she doesn’t care it will default to configured server settings.

Here is how I am attempting to solve it and I was wondering if it follows MVC/ Yii convention.

User and Server Settings has a Model/View/Controller

User settings will be loaded when the $user is logged in. Desired reference $user->setting_name;

Server settings are loaded when the app is loaded. Yii:app()->setting_name

In some cases the user setting and server setting will be the same like the timezone.

I have a model called Job.

In the afterFind(I am just showing the snippit I am concerned with/ I do not have code written yet, I learn better by writing it out on paper

*Note the $convertedTimeZone will probably be another component for international time.

public function afterFind() {

// Looping through each result

if ($user->timezone) 

{

$this->openDate = $convertedTimeZone // $convertedTimeZone is a placeholder for  converting GMT to localtimezone

} else if (Yii::app()->timezone)

$this->openDate = $convertedTimeZone // $convertTimeZone is a placeholder for converting GMT to servertimezone 

}

I was also wondering if I created a helper component that would do that comparison for me

function convertTimeZone($time) {

$userTZ = UserSettings::getTimeZone(); // UsersSettings will query the database and give me back the tz

$serverTZ = ServerSettings::getTimeZone(); // Server Settings will query the database and give me back the tz

/* another way */

$usersettings = UserSettings::find();

$serversettings = ServerSettings::find();

if ($tz = $usersettings->name['timezone']) {

$convertTimeZone($tz);

} elseif ($tz = $settings->name['timezone']) { // else if to have a hard coded value just in case implied on other examples'

$convertTimeZone($tz);

}

return $userTZ ? $convertTimeZone($userTZ) : $convertTimeZone($serverTZ);

}

public function afterFind() {

// looping through each result

$this->openDate = Yii:app()->convertTimeZone($this->openDate);

}

Thanks in advance, I am sorry if I wasn’t clear on anything, please let me know how to improve my posts for the next time; which I bet there will be :).