Composer error: no matching package found

I’m having trouble with the philippfrenzel/yii2fullcalendar extension. The latest release is broken by the latest fullcalendar release (see the issue here). The workaround is to force composer to install the earlier functioning version of yii2calendar. However, that has a bower-asset/fullcalendar-scheduler version 1.9.2 dependency. For some reason, composer is continually giving me the error:

philippfrenzel/yii2fullcalendar 3.9.0 requires bower-asset/fullcalendar-scheduler ^1.9.2@stable -> no matching package found.

My question is, why can’t composer find that package? I can see that it exists in a stable form here: https://asset-packagist.org/package/bower-asset/fullcalendar-scheduler

Is this where composer is looking for the package? I also see on the home page of asset-packagist.org that they’ve gotten rid of fxp-composer-asset plugin. The packages can be installed directly now (natively). Should I try to remove the fxp plugin and does that have anything to do with the above error? I’m not having trouble with any other packages that have bower dependencies.

I can’t quite make sense of this. If I delete my vendor folder, clear composer cache, and run composer update, I get this error:

[Composer\Downloader\TransportException]
The "http://repo.packagist.org/p/provider-2015%243c56c6be8b4e8d9afbedd4da4f
de7cbea7461961efe4de56897eb82d2811042f.json" file could not be downloaded (
HTTP/1.1 404 Site or Page Not Found)

But if I delete these lines in composer.json,

"config": {
    "fxp-asset": {
        "installer-paths": {
            "npm-asset-library": "vendor/npm",
            "bower-asset-library": "vendor/bower"
        }
    }
}

then all packages install successfully with bower assets saved to /vendor/bower-assets, but Yii gives me this error:

Exception 'yii\base\InvalidArgumentException' with message 'The file or directory to be published does not exist: D:\web\project/vendor\bower/jquery/dist' in D:\web\project\vendor\yiisoft\yii2\web\AssetManager.php:455

I finally solved it at least for now by successively installing packages rather than the full package list at once. Strange behavior.