beforeDelete return false

Hi There guys,

I am developing a REST Api with the possibility for users to add and delete comments: about the deletion I want that only the owner of the comment can delete its comment so I have overridden the beforeDelete() method inside the Comment ActiveRecord Class in this way:

public function beforeDelete() {

if(!parent::beforeDelete()){

return false;

}

$userApi = AuthHelper::getUserByToken();

if(!is_object($userApi)){

$this->addError('id_user', 'Unrecognized user');

return false;

}

if($this->id_user != $userApi->id){

$this->addError('id_user', 'Not authorized to perform this action');

return false;

}

return true;

}

The static method AuthHelper::getUserByToken() basically just get the token from the request header, and invoke the User::findIdentityByAccessToken to return the user object (if exist).

public static function getUserByToken() {

$headers = \Yii::$app->request->headers;

$token_value = $headers->get('Authorization');

$token = str_replace('Bearer ', '', $token_value);

return User::findIdentityByAccessToken($token);

}

However if I try to delete a comment that does not belong to me, the server deny my request but do not show any of the errors I declared using the addError() method, but instead it send me a 500 Server Error:

{

"name": "Internal Server Error",

"message": "Failed to delete the object for unknown reason.",

"code": 0,

"status": 500,

"type": "yii\\web\\ServerErrorHttpException"

}

My question is: is it a normal behavior to throw a ServerErrorHttpException because the beforeDelete() return false or it might be related to other things? Could it be any better way to deny the deletion and send back a proper error message instead of a generic 500 ServerError?

Thank you in advance

Raffaele

Yes, see the implementation of DeleteAction:

if ($model->delete() === false) {

throw new ServerErrorHttpException('Failed to delete the object for unknown reason.');

}

http://www.yiiframework.com/doc-2.0/guide-rest-error-handling.html

Thank you very much Partik for your answer, at the end of the day I have solved throwing a 401 UnauthorizedHttpException, is not that elegant but it works!

if($this->id_user != $userApi->id){

throw new \yii\web\UnauthorizedHttpException('Not authorized to perform this action');

}