Accessing records in a relation

I’m working on a project which requires me to set exclusive “flag” fields on a record, and am trying to work out the best way to handle it with Yii. To illustrate what I mean:

1. I have two tables, tbl_organisation and tbl_person

2. There is a one to many relationship from tbl_person to tbl_organisation (one organisation has many people)

3. However for an organisation, there is usually one and only primary contact, and one billing contact (there may be others later on).

The first way of representing it involved two-way foreign keys relationships, which can cause problems with constraint conflicts, so at the moment I’m looking at having:

1. A foreign key from tbl_person (foreign key) -> tbl_organisation (primary key)

2. is_billing_contact and is_primary_contact boolean fields in tbl_person.

I’m then building a behaviour to check and set the fields in is_billing_contact & is_primary_contact, ensuring that you never have more than one billing or primary contacts for each organisation.

I currently have the relationships:

'people' => array(self::HAS_MANY, 'Person', 'fk_organisation_id', 'index'=>'id'),

in my Organisation class, and

'organisation' => array(self::BELONGS_TO, 'Organisation', 'fk_organisation_id')

in my Person class.

For checking, I use the following code fragment to get the current flagged contact for an organisation:

$count = 0;

foreach ($this->getOwner()->$collection as $record)

{

if (1==$record->$flagField)

{

$flaggedRecords[] = $record;

++$count;

}

}

//check to see if we have too many flagged records contacts for this collection, error if so

if ($count>1)

{

throw new Exception ("Data Integrity Error - $count Records Found with $flagField");

return false;

}

else if (0==$count) // none found

{

return false;

}

else

{

return array_pop($flaggedRecords);

}

}

Is this the best way to handle it?

Also, the code I’ve included doesn’t seem very “yii”… is there a way I could do the same using the query builder?

Thanks!

Iain

What you could do i slighly optimize finding already selected record. Instead of:

foreach ($this->getOwner()->$collection as $record) {

if (1==$record->$flagField) {

$flaggedRecords[] = $record;

++$count;

}

}

just:

$records = $this->owner->$collection( array( 'condition'=>$flagField . ' = 1', 'limit'=>1 ) );

$count = count( $records );

‘limit => 1’ is because you just want to know if there is any record or not (next condition is $count>1). This way you do not have to load all dependent records but only one.

That’s exactly what I was looking to do, but couldn’t work out how.

Thank you!