Yii Playground: collaborative demo app.

Jonah, could you use Google’s webmaster program to make them reevaluate the malware warning?

why this playground does not update ?

I think there is a lot of feature can be added ~~

The virus is back on the demo website. Please remove it and report to google for review.

yiiplayground dot cubedwater dot com

thanks

Hello,

the playground is still under google warnings…

There are still warnings about this site when using for example Firefox 12.

Please fix this! If you can’t, just take the site down. The current state it’s in gives a bad reputation about Yii, there’s a lof of users that ask about this and wonder what the hell is going on.

Please fix the site or take it down.

Thanks.

while visiting your site google warns me that your site is infected. could you please check

Seriously, why isn’t the author of this site responding? What’s wrong with that person.

By this approach people may think that Yii is full of holes :confused:

That’s a super accurate summary of the problem with this :confused:

A while ago I sent the author a private message on this forum, but I haven’t received a response to that either.

Really bad publicity… :(

Hi guys,

sorry if I “disappeared” from this thread; I’ve missed messages from July :P

Anyway, do you still see that warning message in Chrome or Firefox? Cause I don’t see it anymore.

About “bad publicity”, you know from the Jonah message that fault was from his shared hosting (“I think dreamhost was compromised”) and not a problem related to Yii. Of course if someone visit the yii playground and get that warning message could lead to think that the problem is related to Yii itself but this shouldn’t happen to skilled developers that knows that even a plain php or even html file could suffer of that kind of problems if a (shared hosting) server has been compromised…

I also didn’t received any update on this from Jonah so this is also why I’m writing to you to check if the problems is still there. Anyway I’m grateful to him for contributing to this project by giving us the chance to have a live demo… And it is not nice to read comments such as “What’s wrong with that person.” (btw I guess that was about me) cause we’re doing this in our spare time for help other members of this community so the ones who should eventually complain are qiang and other members of the team ;)

Anyway… I’ve finally decided to move this project on github and I’m thinking of revamp it a bit in the next weeks.

Let me know, thanks.

bye,

Giovanni.

Hi,

I’m glad to hear you’re back and that you’re moving it to GitHub. Does that mean you will be in control of the website entirely, so this doesn’t happen again? It would be great!

Yes, I said that about you or whoever was(n’t) maintaining it, because we did all we could to try and contact you/whoever for several months and there was nothing we could do about that site giving people a very bad impression. You may argue that experienced programmers aren’t affected by it, but how many experienced Yii programmers do you think visit that site?

I can tell you that we’ve had quite a lot of people coming to #yii and asking what’s up with that site, and what the problem was. We had to explain to them that “no, it’s not Yii’s fault”, but at the same time how can we be sure that it wasn’t a programming error? It just gave a bad impression to people when their browsers said that this site was potentially dangerous, that’s all.

I completely agree that you guys have done the Yii community a big favor in setting that site up, because it is very useful. I just think that it did more harm than good when it looked “compromised”, and as I said earlier, it’s a big problem when the author can’t be reached. That’s why I said what I said.

Either way, the most important thing now is that you’re back! Please keep having the site online, as I said it is a really good thing (and I really mean that) when it works. A lot of newbies are helped by it.

Regards

Hello rAWTAZ,

yes I see what you mean and probably it was also my fault to under-estimate the problem so I apologize for that. I was waiting for an answer from Jonah but in the meantime I could had put it offline or something similar as suggested…

Anyway… now I won’t be 100% in control of it cause I’d prefer to don’t have to host it by myself… as you may guess I’ve not a lot of free time / free time to dedicate to computer related things and then I’d prefer if someone helps me on this. For me the live demo was a “plus” (= not in my original idea) but it is and it has been a great thing for users so they had the ability to try it out without having to checkout the code from svn etc.

Now Maurizio Domba also kindly offered to me to take care of the hosting but I’d like to wait for a reply from Jonah before taking some decision in that direction… (@everybody:)in the meantime please let me know what you think about these things / idea I had:

• Maurizio Domba told me that eventually we could have a second level domain for the live demo but I’m not 100% sure this is needed: a third level domain is ok and I’d like to have the homepage of the project being the svn / git repository

• I’m going to move the repo to github (hopefully in the next few days)

• I’m thinking of removing the example of the extensions from the playground since new extensions already have websites with live demo

• I’m thinking about using the yii bootstrap extension cause bootstrap is a very handy framework that will be useful for the ui of the project

• I’m thinking of changing the homepage of the project to give credit to the ppl who contribute to it and not just people “joining” the project…

• before of this I’ll release a snapshot with the current version, the one on google code is very old

What do you think?

bye,

Giovanni.

Hi guys…

now Yii Playground is on GitHub: https://github.com/giovdk21/yiiplayground ;)

Hm, this might have been mentioned before but either way, there’s another playground as well: https://github.com/erikuus/Yii-Playground / http://www.eha.ee/labs/yiiplay/index.php/en

Any chance for coordination/collaboration between the two?

Hi,

I’ve commited some changes (added the bootstrap extension, refreshed the UI (still needs some work) and some other minor fixes…)

About the other Yii Playground project… I’ve saw that long time ago and looked more like it was an “internal” project… anyway (this) Yii Playground project is focused on community contributions so it would be nice if there will be some collaboration with the author of the other playground (and from my point of view a change of name would be welcome too to avoid confusion)

bye,

Giovanni.

New live demo: http://www.yiiplayground.com/ - Thanks to Maurizio Domba :)

I just forked and modified it for use with cloud9. I still don’t really know how “collaborative” cloud9 really is, but if you’re interested, give it a try: https://c9.io/bwoester/yiiplayground

I’m curious if you can commit your changes and especially if you can push back to my github repo… :unsure:

Just added a new theme (fluid, responsive). It basically moves all the menu items to a column left of the main content area (like you know it from the guide and api). Not yet completely finished (e.g. toolbox for resetting db is missing), but good enough to let you have a look.