We are on Amazon EC2

There are no ec2 instances in china , closest are tokyo and singapore. We could setup a reverse proxy on some other data center with a subdomain.

True, or setup a reverse proxy for the main domain, but without testing that first, it sounds like everyone will get much slower page load and response times…

I tried to contact gov.cn yesterday for informations in general and about a whitelist process if there’s any, but their dedicated english mailbox is full… Maybe you chinese speaking guys could ask them? There must be some email address that leads to the relevant department and I’m confident that it’s possible to whitelist a website (DNS).

According to the test site I posted earlier, yiiframework.com isn’t firewalled anymore.

Yang He or anyone else from China can confirm it works without proxy?

Can you guys post your AMI information for EC2? A ‘setup a yii site on AWS’ would be a GREAT wiki article btw.

Love the product.

Thanks.

Hi Y!!, I thought I would receive a reply-notifications automatically once I posted on a topic — apparently it’s not, unless I “watched this topic”. Sorry for this super late reply.

Yes I confirm the Yiiframework.com is now directly accessible from Mainland China (I am in Beijing). But FYI, it’s commonly known that the behavior of the government blocking sites is not consistent and transparent at all. For example, the site can be:

• firewall-ed in some places in China but accessible in some other places in China, for no reason;

• firewall-ed on some time in a year (i.e. June 4, Tiananmen Square protests anniversary) but accessible on some other time in a year (i.e. during Olympic Games when many foreign journalists were in China), for no reason;

• a combination of above, for no reason;

Another examples to give you some idea of how the government censor the Internet in a so EVIL way:

China block Gmail every 15 minutes in order to convince users that it’s a problem with Google, not the firewall:

http:// shanghaiist .com/2011/03/21/more_on_gmails_china_problems.php

http:// www. huffingtonpost .com/2011/03/21/gmail-china_n_838255.html

Well, as these are commonly-known knowledge for all the Chinese people (well, maybe not all of them yet) but not widely known by foreigners, just want to bring this up to you that, contacting gov.cn or thinking "there must be some email address that leads to the relevant department to whitelist a website" will be considered very naive (seriously, no offense) in China, as these are things only exist in a country of law and democracy.

Hi jacmoe, I appreciate your anger but I don’t appreciate your hasty judgement. You probably have no idea about how hard many people in China are struggling for democracy and real legal system.

It’s interesting that in China people who concern in IT are forced to concern politics (to figure out how to provide a stable service), and people who concern in politics have to concern IT (to go over the GreatFirewall to get real information).

Sorry to bring so many politics tweets into this technique forum. I actually believe it’s Internet technique that will finally help people to win against tyranny.

@ Yang He

Thanks for your long reply. Yes I was too naive. It was just my thought that China get’s slowly more open to the world. That’s why I thought maybe there is some small chance. Also I’m a fan of Chinas civilisation and culture. Maybe I wished to see the mircale of the “open China” with my own eyes? I don’t know. If I had thought about it a little longer, I would have realized that it’s useless to even try.

I can’t judge Chinas internal politics, so I can only hope that the overal situation is getting better, but unfortunately I guess there is still a long way to go.

I’m just discovering the Amazon cloud solutions and i was wondering why did you choose Amazon EC2 instead of Amazon beanstalk ?

For what I understood Beanstalk needs less configuration to have a server up and running with a load balancer and auto-scalling and is not much more expensive.