More user friendly documentation

After working many weeks I’m now used to with Yii framework. I’m not facing any problems now. I’m sure all the newbies above they’ll also get used to with it within couple of weeks. From my experience from other frameworks I was suggesting, the definitive guide can be improved by adding some quick start examples which I’ve found very helpful to learn. That will be very helpful for new Yii users.

I am totally disagree with Jacmoe. It is clearly seen from the above discussion new Yii users are facing some barriers to get used to with it. Isn’t it good to make the documentation more user friendly rather than advising them to learn different framework?

i find the yii guide more appealing than prado’s and although i at first was a bit lost with yii’s class reference and guide after a while you will know where to find what…

Guide, class references and code are written very good, and very useful, but it takes much time for somebody to get familiar with yii framework, no matter if he already had previous experience with other MVC frameworks.

I don’t use class reference often, as it is faster for me to check code(just click on function in my ide, and I am already in function definition section, no matter to which class it belong to). Code is documented very well.

But for programmers who just started to use yii, examples would be enormous help. Maybe to allow members to write examples of use for each class/function, bug big problem would be to maintain those examples, review them…

The Yii wiki awaits you … ;)

As does Yii Playground…

I found a problem in the process of creating the docs.

Not in writing the text, but in requirement of using some special markup with it’s own synthax.

Maybe it’s easy and similar to wiki, but it’s different and one has to learn it.

After you learn the new markup language, you have to download, set up, learn and use some weird utility to preview your pages, cause it’s the only way you can check your markup.

After you submit it, you start getting comments from other members who just wanted to say something, not always related to the text you wrote.

Why wouldn’t they just edit my text and submit their patch instead? :)

After you answer all questions and everyone agrees with it, the page you write stay in svn for a couple of months, not being published on the site itself!

Anyone wants to join? :)

Taking into account the current poor state of documentation it would be better to make it wiki-based, maybe with limited edition access, rather then expecting the contributors participate in all this Bureaucracy.

As an example, for many years there was a problem with russian rtanslation of php documentation.

Recently php.net added a tool to translate documentation https://edit.php.net/.

Tony2001 (php team) published a link to Development Statistics for Russian Translation:

http://doc.php.net/statsvn/ru/

It is obvious that the problem with translation was in the php.net infrastructure.

I offer to let people write the documentation for yii. Right now it nearly impossible.

grigori

Infrastructure isn’t everything and it will not magically write documentation. Note that 75.1% of contributions to Russian PHP docs are done by a single person.

Still, I think this tool at least brought attention to PHP doc translations again.

:) yeah, you are right, but maybe this person would not write that without an infrastructure? for some reason it happens only now