Compared to Kohana 3.1

His arguments prove that he has a shallow knowledge of Yii.

Meh… this seems pointless. You may:

1. Learn to work with Yii.

2. Tell your superior that you are not comfortable working with for Yii. Try to convince him/her to allow you to switch to kohana. If that does not work, then return to 1 or move on to 3.

3. Leave your current job and find another where they will allow you to use whichever tools you like the most.

I believe your goal here is to get yii developers to agree with you that kohana is superior. I could be wrong though… I’ve tested literally over a hundred frameworks, and so far yii is the one I’m most comfortable using. Albeit, I have not used kohana 3.x yet (I have never had a reason to switch from Yii yet).

I suggest you have a read of my blog at Www.sheldmandu.com as I cover exactly this topic. Yii uses true OO and is designed very similar to .NET while kohana uses more old school concepts instead of inheritance to achieve same results. Personally I think yii is a much better framework and much easier to understand and grasp than kohana. I would not even consider kohana when u have yii and code igniter for simpler stuff. If u look at the core kohana code and compare to core yii code the argument for yii becomes clear. If you don’t have a very good grasp of OO then perhaps kohana is the better choice or could just go with CI because it has a much bigger user base than kohana.

Well, Yii is a framework and Kohana is more like a toolset.

It’s difficult to compare the two.

Kemal obviously prefers to write the glue code himself, thus having a preference for Kohana.

That’s what it is: a preference.

From what I’ve seen of Kohana code, it’s neat and modern.

If you want to compare anything, compare Kohana and CI with Zend.

And compare Yii with CakePHP and Symfony.

IMO. ;)

I ended up not comparing Kohana to Yii but talking about features that make Kohana as good as it gets.

Posted the presentation slides on slideshare, in case that anyone here cares :P :

I tried to read that slides, I closed the browser tab when I’ve seen “Speed - So fast that no one seems to benchmark against it”, ahaha… “speed” or “insignificance”? Uh ok :)

Kemal, presentation is a bit evangelistic… pros are there, cons aren’t. For example, it’s said about documentation that it’s all in one place but not mentioned that Ko3 guide sucks. Really. I don’t want to be offensive but it’s behind codebase for months and there a lot of TODO marks. Again, “elite community” really means that Ko forums isn’t a friendly place. Compare Yii vs Ko topics at both forums ;)

Anyway, thanks for sharing. Second slide is nice ;)